What's new

Gravel Guard a good finish for a sub? (1 Viewer)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I told my dad I wanted to get a black textured finish on my sub. Dad recommended we try some Gravel Guard. Do you guys know how this would work on a subwoofer enclosure? The enclosure is a 194L ported Tempest cube(well not quite a cube). We have some of this stuff at home so it we wouldn't need to go out and buy any.

I figure I will try some on a piece of scrap MDF and see what I think of the results. The enclosure has been bare MDF since we built it.

Has anyone here had experience with this type of finish?

George W

Stunt Coordinator
Justin,

I'm not familiar with Gravel gaurd but I hear that spray truck bed liner works excellently on subwoofers. It will give you the finish you are after and I know there's several people on the board who can give you tips. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

KyleGS

Second Unit
If its anything like Dupli-color bed liner it should work fine. Like you said- try it out on a scrap piece of mdf. You may need to prime the MDF first.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I would suggest you definitly prime first for an even lay down.

Are you speaking of what is often refered to as Chip Gard or Stone Gard that is used at the body shop?
Comes in spay cans also.

If you are, it's very easy to use, but be sure to sand and prime first. Super easy to use and almost impossible to screw up. Test spay some primed scrap MDF to see how to lay it down, to heavy and it will sag.
Pretty tuff stuff very durable and can be painted and clear coated over if one wants.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
If you are, it's very easy to use, but be sure to sand and prime first. Super easy to use and almost impossible to screw up. Test spay some primed scrap MDF to see how to lay it down, to heavy and it will sag.
I think I will be trying this tomorrow after school on some scrap.

Do you think the overall result will be good? Comparable to spray on bed liner?

My box is pretty big, roughly a 24" cube but I probably won't be doing the bottom. How much of the stuff will be needed?

As soon as I get a finish on the sub I will take some pics with the digital camera. Could anyone host a small web page with info on the sub and a couple of pics?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I don't know what product your using as I have only used pro stuff from the body shop. And not on a sub but on my blazer.

The look is very similar and it covers quickly if it's not being absorbed into the wood. If you don't prime well the result may vary on the box and you don't want that!

I have know idea how much you need. Better to buy more than enough and keep your reciept, you can always return what you don't use.

Definitly try some large piece of scrap first to see if you like the results. Test spay the scrap (flat and with the piece vertical).
If it's the pro stuff (3M I beive is what I used), I think you'll find it very satisfactory.
Over the counter stuff I have no idea the quailty of the product. So don't spay your box till your sure you like the results. Don't freak when you first spray and it lays flat for a little bit, it will do it's thing rather quickly. Also make sure it is warm enough where ever you'll be spraying, as it dose not work correctly if the temp is to cold.

You might try both the Bed liner and the G-Gard and see which you like the best on your scrap piece before attacking the box. Last thing you want to do is have your box turn out like, sh*t, after all your work to this point.

Regards
Geoff

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i will be more then happy to host, as many picks as you want hell i got 100 mb of storage and i am only really using half of it.

drop me a line at

[email protected], and send the pics if you want.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the offer Allen. As soon as I get the pics I will send them your way:) . I probably won't have as many pics as you do since I will only have pictures of the finished product.

BTW, the Tempest on your web site looks great.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
thanks its my baby, and i am in withdrawal, since i am on break and haven't felt my baby in over a week :angry: i have to keep telling my self just a few more days and i will be back, boy am i going to make her sing when i do. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks