Grave of the Fireflies widescreen question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Feb 8, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

When I watched it I noticed the black area on the bottom is half the size(maybe less) than the top black area. Every other widescreen movie I've seen the black areas are pretty the same size. Was this a centering mistake by the company? Is it supposed to be that way? Or what?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The transfer was originally done for the widescreen subbed LD and VHS releases, like many early CPM titles this was done so that the subs remained in the black area

3. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    It looks normal to me.

Jeff, if that was the case, then wouldn't the bottom black bar be bigger, not smaller, than the top one? They would push the letterboxed image up towards the top of the screen to make room for the subtitles at the bottom, right? This contradicts what Stephen is experiencing.

Also, I don't know much about transferring from film to video and whatnot, but wasn't the transfer on the DVD originally done for a dubbed release? End credits list the English dub voice actors but not the original Japanese cast. And wouldn't there be subtitles burned into the image?

4. Jeff Kleist

That's odd, I'll have to look at my copy again

I said it was originally done for the subbed release, which preceded the dub by about 2 years or so. They used the dub master for the DVD precisely because it wasn't burned in, but they are both sourced from the same tape.

It could be that someone tried to compensate for that step that was taken in sub post production w/o realizing that he master was fine.

5. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    [​IMG]
    Here is a screen capture from the DVD. I shrunk it down a bit to reduce the file size, but it is otherwise unaltered. The bottom bar IS just a tiny bit slimmer than the top one. It's not enough that it should be particularly noticable, though. As I said, I've watched the disc many times and never had issues with the matting (the disc has lots of OTHER flaws, but that's another topic for another thread). I suspect that your television's overscan chops more from the bottom than from the top of the screen, exacerbating the problem. Have you not noticed such a phenomenon on other letterboxed movies?

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I haven't noticed it with other movies, that's why I asked. I have an Apex AD-1500 DVD player attached to a 6 foot tall Mitsubishi projection television(don't know the model) with S-video, if that helps any.

7. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I have to nudge the picture up a little up to preserve the subtitles on my 32" widescreen TV because of the 1.66:1 framing.

8. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Can anyone else comment on this?

9. Jeff Kleist

I'm just going to guess that it was mis-centered in that particular transfer.

The Insider is slightly higher than centered on its DVD (probably another error, though I heard somewhere that the director requested it so that it would fill the top of a widescreen set, dunno if that's true)

I asked my friend who used to work for CPM, he said "I dunno, ask Ghibli. We just used the tape we were given.

10. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

I purchased a R2 copy of Grave of Fireflies distributed by Warner Home Video Japan. With R2, you get a great looking anamorphic transfer which is far superior to R1 by CPM (I have both). If you can play R2, definetly get this copy. All the other Ghibiri? titles (My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's delivery Service, My Neighbor Yamadas)from BV Japan are also excellent and comes with English subtitles. Avoid HK R3 releases.

11. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

A re-release of Grave of the Fireflies is due this year from CPM, and I'd definitely recommend holding out for that version based on what I've heard about it. Especially if you're planning on picking up the R2.