Grave, Kiki’s, and Spirited Away problems

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ian, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Ian

Ian Agent

I have encountered a problem with Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki’s Delivery Service, and Spirited Away. Disc 1 (the movie) will not play on my Sony S-7000, but they are fine on my laptop.

Normally, I can play DVDs other players have problems with. Are there any S-7000 owners who have had problems with these DVDs? I am sending them back to the online store for replacements, but I am wondering if I need to buy a new DVD player?

Ian

2. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

Spirited Away -- at least the copy I rented -- won't play on my DVP-S7700.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Grave should be totally unrelated, as it was released by Central Park Media and not Buena Vista HV.

4. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

I have a similar problem with other BV/Disney titles as well as with KIKI: two copies of KIKI's first disc will not play on my Panasonic dvd-C220D; whereas it often takes several "disc exchange" or "disc skip" to fire up the second disc of Disney's 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. If I'm very patient, eventually it plays, but nothing but an error message with KIKI's first disc (the second disc plays just fine), and sometimes even SPIRITED AWAY doesn't do it on the first try.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There may be an authoring system in common or compressor

6. Ian

Ian Agent

Thank you everyone for your responses. Jeff may be right about the authoring system. I should have my replacements by next week. I will post an update.

Ian

7. Ian

Ian Agent

I received my replacement DVDs and I have same problem with all three as before. There must be a similar authoring system being used.

Ian

8. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I have all those discs you mentioned, and they play fine on my Panny RP82. However, I *do* have issues with all Infinifilm authored discs. Not big ones, but annoying enough that I don't buy them, even though they play fine on a "lesser" player, luckily I'm not missing much. So yeah, it could be a similar authoring system/method as Jeff mentioned.