What's new

Gratuity input needed (1 Viewer)

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
To any of you that are experienced travelers (in the US anyway) what is considered an appropriate gratuity at a nice hotel for services like bellboy, valet and the like. I guess it might matter what part of the country to some extent as I'm sure a buck doesn't mean the same thing in New York City as it would in Omaha Nebraska, but just looking for basic guidance.

Thanks

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I would question tipping a Room-Service waiter 15-20%.

I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel where a gratuity of at least 18% isn't already added to the bill, along with a $3.00 or more delivery charge.

If the guy has really gone out of his way, fast delivery, etc. maybe a few extra dollars. But certainly not another 15-20% on top of the already built-in gratuity charge.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
mmm $5 - $10 depending on the service (and your mood).

$1 tip just seems too low wherever you live.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I have to concur with $5 for the bellman (funnily enough I've never seen a bellwoman). By the time he schlepps my luggage and my parents luggage & accoutrements from the car to the room he's earned that easily. I've never tipped the maid, but then I've never stayed in a hotel room for more than 3 nights either.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

I was always told not to tip on the wine during dinner. What warrants a 40 dollar tip for bringing me a 200 dollar bottle of wine?

AjayM

Screenwriter

Cheapskate ;)

What warrants a tip to your waiter? In a "nice" place all he does is write down your order and types it into a computer, then comes around every once in awhile with the "is everything ok" line. Somebody else has the job of bringing the food out (and cooking it), cleaning the table, etc. :D

Ok seriously, on the wine thing it depends, a lot of people do what you do, but I usually bug the crap out of the booze guy, have him make recommendations, etc. I'm also semi picky about what I get, don't bring me a chilled red, don't punch the cork screw all the way through the cork (mmmm, floating cork), make sure the wine is still good (nothing like floating grap junk in my wine), etc.

Andrew

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member

For a bottle of wine that probably cost the restaurant $50 or less.

I went to Morton's in Seattle and bought an $80 bottle of wine and then saw the exact same brand and vintage at Whole Foods the next dat for $19.99.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
what ever you decide to tip, make sure it is on the pre-tax price, don't include the tax total in your tip amount.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt

I agree with the dollar part, but come on. Some person at a pizza place that hollers your order over their shoulder and then rings you up? Puh leeze.

But 20% is pretty common at resturants, at least in Atlanta. Here in Mexico 10% is standard, most folks don't tip at all.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Maybe it's because they make far, far below the minimum wage and depend on tips to make a living.

Drinks and wine are so expensive in restaurants because that is where the profit margin is. Very little profit is made off the food.

AjayM

Screenwriter

If you're in a place that serves $200 bottles of wine, then I'm going to guess that the prices on the food are fairly high as well along with the profit margins (but yes the drink margin will be highest).

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Thanks gentlemen. I guess I'm in the ballpark or a tad over at times. (Don't get out often) I'm not sure if the restaurant we'll be dining in one night has a wine steward, but that's interesting to know that they should be compensated separately.....do the bill separately for their service and product?

Mort (who won't be ordering any $200 wine anyway when he can take a nice bottle of Ripple in a paper bag under his coat ;) )

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I always tip based on service and I would have to get outstanding service to leave a 20% tip. Attitude is also a big part of it, at least subjectively. If the server is chatty and seems interested that usually gets a better tip versus the server who doesn't seem to like their job very much and would rather be elsewhere.

This a burning question I've had for a while: What's an appropriate tip for an AYCE buffet place where the server just removes plates & refills drinks?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm a pretty generous tipper, but I draw the line at tipping the usher at a sports areana. They're there to prevent people from taking seats, I really don't need help finding row Q. The only exception I've made is when the seats are wet and they dry it off.

I also don't tip counter take-out unless unusual service was given. If it's counter service with tables I go 10% (same as buffet).

I have a question on the wine steward though. I've only gone to such "high class" establishments about 3 times; but in each case I gave the steward tip to the waiter (in addition to the waiter's tip) and asked him to pass it on. Was that correct; or maybe the better question is what's usual?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Please. I stop at Starbucks just about every morning...and they have a tip jar. Why does handing me a cup of coffee warrant a tip?

I used to work at a pet food store and did not get tipped (with rare exception) for carrying out 40-50lb bags of food and litter, sometimes multiples. I'll be damned if I'm going to tip someone for handing me a cup.

As for barbers/hairstylists, I don't tip there either unless they do something exceptional. I'm already being charged $35-40 for a 30 minute haircut. The fee is the fee and that's that.

If we tip all of these folks, what's next? How about tips for dentists, bus drivers, doctors, nurses in hospitals, dry cleaners, grocery store clerks...or how about tipping a cop after you get a ticket. "Oh thanks so much, officer, here's a little something for your trouble."

And no I'm not cheap, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
For me the tip is easy to figure out. It is determined by taking how hot she is and multiple it by the number of times she "accidentally" rubs her boobs against my arm or shoulder.

So, if in the looks department she is a 7, but she rubbed her hooters 3 times (and it has to be a good rub, not just a lil' brush), then I'll tip 21% pre-tax.

And I refuse male wait staff cuz then that's just sick and wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks