grateful dead concerts - please can anyone recommend the best ones?

Discussion in 'Music' started by andrew markworthy, Aug 20, 2005.

1. andrew markworthy

Rather late in life I've started to like The Grateful Dead. I'm not particularly fond of their studio albums, but I do like their live stuff, but there's so much of it it's baffling. Please can anyone recommend the cream of the crop or a site which can provide such information?

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

keep listening. you'll figure it out.

do you mean legitimate CD releases or "bootlegs"?

i would recommend starting with their large "dick's picks" series. these are high quality live releases sanctioned by the band and culled by their archivist(s) from their massive vault of live recordings.

for information on obtaining dead "bootlegs", i would highly recommend you check THIS site.

even though their sound constantly evolved, most people, for categorization, divide the dead up into different decades; 60s dead, 70s dead, 80s dead, and 90s dead. these can, of course, be further subdivided; ie. early 70s dead, late 80s dead. in each time period, the band had a characteristic sound and the performances had a characteristic "feel". as you keep listening, you may find that you like the band's sound at particular time periods, and you can concentrate on getting those recordings.

btw, 05/08/77, Cornell University, is often sited as THE must-have recording.

3. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Dicks Picks is a very good starting point for commercially released live Dead. Volume 8, 5/20/70 along with the Cornell show Scott mentioned (I don't think its a Dicks Pick) is another highly regarded show. Volumes 10 and 12 are excellent as well.

If you really want to sample live Dead shows without spending tons of time downloading from etree, check out
    Archive.org

Huge collection of live shows available for quick download in mp3 format and other formats as well. You can sample songs, entire shows, eras and so on...Then, if you're looking for lossless sources, head to etree and download in flac format.

I like archive.org because it's a huge collection, there are reviews from mostly knowledgeable Deadheads, and you can easily sample there.

Like Scott said, the Deads live work can be divided and sub divided by decades and parts of decades...Key to finding the live Dead that you might like most is deciding if you like shows that feature long jams vs. shows with fewer jams and more/shorter songs...And zeroing in periods where the Dead were playing well, Jerry was in good health and voice and all was well with the band.

They had periods such as the 1977 shows where they were particularly good, as were late 60's shows, late 80's into 1990.

Personally, I think the best place to start for anyone new to live Dead is 1977 for the overall quality of their performances, and dearth of available shows both commercial and unreleased boots.

4. andrew markworthy

Thanks for the info, guys. I already have the Cornell '77 show and agree that it's excellent.

I'm not v. keen on 60s GD (I don't have much liking for psychadaelia). When I was a teenager in the 70s I was put off their stuff by seeing the one of the pyramids concerts broadcast on the BBC (I've since learnt that a lot of Deadheads think these concerts suck) and gave up on them. Ah well, at least I now have learnt the error of my ways. [​IMG]

5. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

Btw the 5/8/77 show's not in the Dead's tape archives so there'll be no official release of this show.