What's new

Graphics : X-box vs. Gamecube (1 Viewer)

For those who have experience with both, how do the graphics on an HDTV setup compare? Looking at screen shots on the gamespy site it appears that the X-box graphics are noticeably superior. Is that really the case?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
X-Box has more power and can go to a higher resolution than the GameCube. That said, it would make sense if the X-Box looked better on a good HT setup.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
They both do 480p and neither has HD resolution yet. XBox will hopefully have games doing 720p in the future, and possibly even 1080i.

Again, I am asking for observations from someone who has seen both. I know they both do 480p. There are many DVD players that output 480p with different levels of picture quality. If you have used both on an HDTV setup, what is your opinion on the relative picture from each?

Andrew P

Second Unit
I am more impressed with the X-box. I bought both, but im selling my Gamecube because I was not impressed with Luigi's Mansion, Waverace, or Rogue Squadron. I really thought id like Waverace, but it just hasnt hit me like I thought it would. Madden on the cube is very good though, but I cant keep a system for one game.

Andy

Andrew P

Second Unit
My display device is a Mitsubishi 73907 and a Cinema 13HD projector. I had both systems hooked up via component video cables.

Madden 2002 looked better on the X-box, but it played better on the Gamecube (less slowdown and the game felt faster). NHL Hitz is defnitely better on the X-box. Nascar 2002 is a dream on the X-box.

I think the Gamecube graphics are good, but the system just did not feel right plus the memory card situation is awful (a full card for a Madden franchise??) Luigi's Mansion is so boring and repetitive. I loved Waverace on the 64, but I dont like it on the Cube. I dont like Star Wars so Rogue Squadron was disappointing as well.

Most of the games I want are coming to X-box as well so I figure I cant go wrong with the X-box. I never thought id be this impressed, but I am. Before I bought both systems I thought id be returning the X-box.

I also dont like the Gamecube controller or the short controller cords. I still think the best controller is the PS/PS2 dual shock.

Andy

Andrew P

Second Unit
My assumption is that 1) the port is one problem (since it was created without either system in mind. It does not show the true power of the systems) and 2) the X-box Madden looks better (more detail, animation, etc.) which could cause the minor slowdown.

Andy

Trevor_J

Second Unit
From what I've seen online and in person the Xbox has better graphics. Nothing that I've seen on GC thus far has impressed me. I'm not just referring to the graphics on the console but the software that's out right now as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks