What's new

Graphics problem HELP! - bad video card, ram, or mobo? (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I just finished putting a new machine together this weekend and ran into a graphics glitch that happens after running the computer for ~1 hour or so. Once the machine reboots the problem goes away. I've even had the screen lock on me a couple times. I took a screenshot to show the problem.

The graphics card is an ASUS ATI 4850, the motherboard is a MSI P7N SLI Platinum, and the RAM is OCZ Reaper 2x2Gb . Is this sort of problem caused by a bad graphics card or could it be the motherboard or RAM??

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/7/7b/htf_imgcache_32581.jpeg] [/url]

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, Usually you get Graphics Problem from the Graphics Card Overheating. I would look at the Vid Card and if it has a Fan (most Do) look to see if the Fan is Spinning. Or try looking in the Display Properties if it has a Tempature Sensor and see what temp it is running at.

What version of Drivers are you using for that card??

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
It looks to me like a video card problem. I would try replacing it to see if it fixes your problem.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks for the suggestions! Last night I ran memtest86 and the ram checked out just fine so I'm fairly sure that's not the culprit. I also installed SpeedFan(?) and monitored all of the RPM and internal temperatures, all of which appeared to be in range except for the video card. But from further reading it appears the ATI 48XX cards run pretty hot. I went ahead and RMA'ed the video card since that really does seem to be the problem. I'll update once I get the other card installed. Hopefully that will solve me problem.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well just to update everyone. I replaced the video card and still had the same problem, however when I remove the Cataylst drivers I don't have any problems. I noticed that v8.7 just came out last week so I'm going to give that and try to see if that solves my problem. Thanks to all for the help!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have has some issues with the Catalyst drivers myself. I have had better luck with the older drivers than the updates. Hopefully the latest version will solve the problem for you.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well as a final update the problem turned out to be the...

motherboard!

There is/was a bug with the nVidia 750/780/790 chipset which was just patched a couple weeks ago. After upgrading the firmware all appears to be running good.

For more information on this problem check out this thread on the MSI Forums.

corsair_lancer

Auditioning
Real Name
Claudio
Hi there. I also have an MSI P7N Platinum, with an Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz, 4 Gigs of DDR2 Corsair Value Ram (667) and a Visiontek ATI HD4850 512DDR3. I had the same graphics problem either by leaving the PC on and/or watching videos/surfing sites with flash videos on the background. I tried changing drivers, tired reformatting, tried using the VGA fan at high speeds, to no avail. I sent it back to the store for analysis, and so far they haven´t been able to reproduce the problem. Has the BIOS update fixed your problem? Or has it come back as other forums show it does after a few weeks?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The BIOS update fixed the problem about 98% of the time. Since the update I've had 2 occurrences total where in contrast I was having 2 occurrences per day. So definitely update the BIOS and that should resolve most of your problem although unfortunately not all of it.

I will add this, even though I can live with a small and infrequent bug this will be my last nVidia chipset MB for a VERY VERY long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks