Graphics cards for HDTV

Discussion in 'Computers' started by PhillJones, Jan 31, 2004.

1. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

Jan 20, 2004
    Okay, now I've just gone and confused myself and I'm drowning in information.

Here's what I think I know. For the best results I need to buy a proper video card: somethinhg that I can set my output resolution to the native res of my plasma screen and the resfresh rate to 72Hz for ntsc and 75 for pal. Apparently some cards will support custom resolutions and some won't. I've also heard that powerstrip will let you set up custom resolutions and refresh rates. Will powerstrip do this for any video card or only one's that say that they support custom resolutions. Is the same true for refresh rates?

I think I need a seperate video capture card. I've heard about all-in wonder cards from Radeon but I've also read that these cards don't support custom resolutions, is this true even if I use powerstrip. Will these allow me to capture video for PVR purposes, and will one's withe digital video input allow me to record my HDTV off-of my cable box.

Sorry for the srupid questions but I'm concerned about wasting my money on a card that won't do what I need and of course I was born thick so please take pity.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jan 18, 1999
    Well, I don't know much about the ATI all-in-wonder stuff, mostly because I use Dscaler which does not work with the ATI input chipset. In addition, ALL IN WONDER seems to target at those wanting Svideo output to TV, which on the ATI cards looks like shit, and I don't need anyway.

That being said- I would guess you would have to figure out what PVR application you're planning to use (Sage?) and what card shipsets it supports for input. As far as those with "digital input"-- the only display digital inputs I know of are SDI (i don't know of input cards with DVI, although they might be out there). There are devices (DVD and DSS) that can be modded to pass SDI so that you can use a SDI input card for displaying those (and I assume PVR, althought I have never specifically seen it done).

If you're looking to time shift/pvr HD broadcasts in HD, the most popular solution is getting an HD card. These HD tuner cards only work with OTA HD, not cable or DSS signals-- so you're limited. I don't think anyone is currently getting HD signals digitally off an external device for PVR-- but I've been out of the loop for a while.