Graphics - Apex VS PGR2 ??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by James_tango, Nov 25, 2003.

1. James_tango

James_tango Stunt Coordinator

Hi, folks.

The last racing game which graphically impressed me was APEX. I've sold the game sometime ago, BTW. Now, I have PGR2,,,,and I'd like to know how Apex compares to PGR2 in graphics ?

Those of you who still have Apex, how does its graphics compare to that of Project Gotham Racing 2 ?? Real-time shadows/lights, car modelings, reflections, polygon counts, quality of textures...etc

I remember that environments in APEX was quite stunning. PGR2 has stunning environments, as well. [​IMG] They both run at 30fps.

Any graphics whore, and/or videophiles out there ? [​IMG]

2. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

PGR2 runs at 30fps as well??!! My god, Xbox games running at anything less than 60 is a joke these days, I don't care how slick they look. When effects and detail are piled on at the expense of framerate (and consequently accuracy of control) , especially for racing games this is inexcusable.

3. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Yep, sad but true. PGR2 only runs at 30FPS and is far inferior(should clarify, I mean inferior in terms of fun factor) to PGR1 in my opinion. Plus, half the tracks are run at night where you can't see all the added detail. The tracks actually look pretty crappy at night, they should've taken notes from NFS:Underground.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I have not had any "problems" with it per se, other than the chameleon guardrails that you can barely see until you've already smashed into them. The blue and white striped ones are particularly bad on some tracks because the stripes tend to blend together and roads will extend past the guardrails due to the way the tracks were constructed as "segments" of the cities. I like it because you get more tracks, but the turns need to be CRYSTAL CLEAR and they aren't. The framerate is smooth and it never hitches from the 30FPS it's locked at, but the graphics would have had a lot more impact if they took out the needless stuff that you can't see without specifically looking for and then bumped it up to 60FPS. PGR does have some moments where it looks like the prettiest racing game ever made, but I think it will be knocked off its pedestal pretty easily when GT4 and Rallisport 2 come out.

6. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Any further personal attacks will result in HTF posting privileges being removed. Please, read our forum rules again!

Crawdaddy

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I will be buying PGR2 for two reasons, Live! and the car in my sig!

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Can we get away from the (tired) framerate discussion for PGR2? Apex also runs at 30fps according to James so is no longer a comparison factor. Let's get back to his original question: