What's new

Grapes of Wrath on DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

svenge

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Svenge Guttensen
I didn't know whether to put this in the "Regional DVD" area or the standard "HT Software" one, so feel free to move this as necessary. Anyhow...

Released on 7/15 is the classic movie "Grapes of Wrath"! Here's the specs on them from http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=10851

Screen : Full Screen 4:3
Audio : Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitle : English, Korean
Dubbing : English
Area Code : Region ALL
Theatrial Release : 1940
DVD Release Date : 2003-07-15

KoreanDVDs.com sells only legit licensed DVDs as I recall, so this is good news!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Fox will release their DVD in 2004, which will feature a newly restored version of the film.

Buying DVD is equal to purchasing the Goodtimes P&S version of Zulu in lieu of Paramount's R2 or MGM's R1 DVD's...plus the fact that it likely isn't legal despite the website's claims.

It likely uses the old laserdisc transfer, which looks horrible compared to the Fox product out now.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, KoreanDVDs.com is very strictly no-bootleg, unless policies have changed very recently. There are many Fox owned titles (including Simon and Garfunkle: Concert in Central Park I believe) that have Korean R0 versions that are legit. It's quite possible, especially with a film that old that it's legit.

And frankly, that's one of the LAST movies a bootlegger would go for. The Criterion bootlegs you find on Ebay are mostly commissions by crooked Ebay sellers who know they can get top dollar for them from morons, or stuff like Kurosawa films that have broad appeal in the Asian market.

I will reiterate Patrick's point to wait for the new Fox remaster, it should be sweet :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've waited this long and I can wait a little longer, so I'll bide my time for the Fox release in Region 1. Why? Because I know that once that dvd is released, it will have plenty of extras besides an excellent presentation of the film.

Crawdaddy

StevenFC

Second Unit
I'll get excited in March when it's still scheduled to be released in April.:)

Hey, way to go David! I actually found someone else that owns "The Remains of the Day" and "Shadowlands"! I'm not a freak after all.....

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'll get excited in March when it's still scheduled to be released in April.
With what happened to "Grapes of Wrath" & "The Enemy Below" and now "Laura", I'm not going to feel 100% safe with any BIG Fox release until it is in my hot little hands.

StevenFC

Second Unit
And don't get me started on "Ed Wood" and "Duel". Two movies which were on at the same time the other day on satellite by the way. I guess I should have taped one of them. October is Boris Karloff month on TCM. I guess I'll have to tape his movies. Lord knows when I'll see the "Frankenstein" films on DVD again, or "The Body Snatcher" for that matter.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Well, I just meant a freak as in being different. I was beginning to think that I would never see another movie fan that had discovered these movies and those like them. It just bothers me a little to think that a serious movie fan like I know most of the people here are, would miss such great film making.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
It just bothers me a little to think that a serious movie fan like I know most of the people here are, would miss such great film making.
Yes, Steven. I concur with that statement in many instances.

Example: When perusing other member's DVD Links on-line, I'm simply amazed at how FEW Alfred Hitchcock titles are in nearly everyone's collections.

Quite obviously and needless to say -- "To each his own". Wouldn't have it any other way. Everyone to his/her own tastes. But, hey!, it's "The Master" we're talkin' about here. Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, Strangers On A Train, et al.

These, in my own view, are as essential as anything that starts with the letters LOTR. :) :D

And "The China Syndrome" is another, it seems, that is owned by very few DVD-philes. A shame. An all-time great.

Sorry, I digress off track.....

StevenFC

Second Unit
All films that I plan on owning someday by the way. Although I think I could live without seeing "Psycho" again. It doesn't really do it for me anymore. But like a lot of films that I admire--if I find it cheap enough.....

......wait.....what was the subject of this thread again??

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am really enjoying all of the FSC so far as this is allowing me to build up a library of classics from the 40's and 50's that otherwise would not be happening.

It is especially great to see that more John Ford films are being released as well

Oscar

:emoji_thumbsup:

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
That's great. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Now we just have a couple of MIA titles from AFI 100 list:

- Bringing Up Baby
- The African Queen
- Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

Though there are others not available at this time, on DVD, they are known to be in the development pipeline.

Joel

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You won't see "The African Queen" until late 2004, but more likely 2005. Issues regarding restoration are still being discussed while the Region 1 dvd rights have been resolved.

"Mutiny on the Bounty" is scheduled for 2004.

"Bringing Up Baby" I haven't heard an update about since finding out that it's in need of major restoration.

Crawdaddy

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
You won't see "The African Queen" until late 2004, but more likely 2005. Issues regarding restoration are still being discussed while the Region 1 dvd rights have been resolved.
So, Crawdaddy, who DOES have the R1 rights to The African Queen? There's been so much speculation over the past several years I've lost track.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
The major restoration for Bringing Up Baby in Region 1 seems to have been going on for ages (a couple of years !)along with most of the rest of the RKO films. The Europeans (France and Germany) don't seem to have any qualms about releasing quite respectable (not flawless) DVDs of Baby and its coming to the UK in November from Universal who seem to own the rights here. There is quite a respectable DVD of The African Queen in Region 2 with a commentary by cinematographer Jack Cardiff.

I must agree about Hitchcock I have more movies directed by him (around 20!)than anyone else in my collection. Even some of his lesser efforts are quite entertaining. Just bought To Catch a Thief today !

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Only because I have a lot of them on video and don't have the money to replace them with DVDs all at once... but believe me, I want to.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I have this dvd and I'm not entirely happy with it, so I can't wait for a restored Region 1 release.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks