Grant Hill: shaping up to be the biggest free agent bust ever in pro sports

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

It appears his ankle is STILL bothering him. At what point do they give up on him? And who pays for his $93 million contract?

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It's looking more and more like the Pistons lucked out when Hill decided to pass on their contract renewal offer and sign with Orlando. The Pistons are rebuilding, and Grant never was able to lead the team to victory when it counted -- in the playoffs. Meanwhile, Orlando is stuck with his huge, guaranteed contract.

3. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

at least they lucked out on T-Mac. He's doing okay for them.

Jon

4. Sam C

Sam C Stunt Coordinator

They let the current biggest free-agent bust leave ... Anfernee(mother can't spell or say Anthony) Hardaway has only been sighted 3 or 4 times since leaving Orlando ...

As to Grant Hill ... With a wife like Tamia ... Who has time to worry about basketball ...

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

6. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Photos would be nice to elaborate your points...besides being wives of NBA stars, who are Tamia & Vanessa Laine? Are they famous in their own right?

7. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Tamia's an R&B singer. I'm sure she has fan sites somewhere on the net. She's pretty talented. Not to mention FINE! As far as Kobe's wife, I don't think she's famous in any way. She's pretty young, like 18 or 19 unless I'm mistaken. She's a very attractive girl, though ...
    Freddy C

8. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

With that thought, we should turn and worry about another Laker's career: Rick Fox.

9. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Personally, I don't know why Rick Fox ever leaves the house....[​IMG]

10. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

Well, trying to get back on topic, I really don't think Hill is that big of a bust. Once he gets back to full health, he'll still be a quality player. Granted, he's has yet to (and probably never will) live up to his full potential, but biggest bust? I think not. Two words...

Juwan Howard.

Now that's a bust. $100 million my ass.

11. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

I don't think anyone here doubts his skills, but if he constantly gets hurt, than yes, this could be bad for the Magic. When he's healthy, he's probably close to being one of the top ten players in the league.

12. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona

13. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    ummm,

Joey Galloway.

14. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

I'd agree with the Juwan Howard comment. He's coming off the bench in Dallas now. Danny Manning took his spot.

Penny has been looking good this year, aside from his first game back anyway. He ate up my Bucks last night.

As for Hill, I have a feeling this could be another year of "precautionary" sitting out. But hey, Orlando has him for 7 years, better to let the ankle heal than have it ruin his career. But seeing as how I can't stand the Magic, I'm not losing any sleep over him sitting.

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

This is the #1 reason I get sick of hearing about free agency ruining the game by making it unfair to compete, etc.

Remember Orlando cried because LA prepared cap space to "steal" Shaq. Then remember how in '99 Chicago and Orlando were going to "buy" teams themselves, including Tim Duncan? I mean people were all upset about the state of the game, etc.

I just wish we could go back in time and shove the facts in their face. SOMETIMES, a free agent works out. But considering the money they demand it's a BIG RISK, especially in a league with a cap. Better off paying to keep them with you than chasing after someone else's guy, simply due to the known versus the unknown. And when you add in the fear of injury...

I say work on chemistry and keep lots of midlevel talent around so that you always have some health and interchangable talent.

Really, weren't the Magic on their way to being this good with the talent they had BEFORE they cleared everyone out for cap space? TMac is fine and Grant might still work out, but you could have done just as well or better with what you already had.

That's one thing about the Pacers that I have been very happy about. They kept the core and didn't get crazy about bringing in some "instant fix".

And like I always said, "What was better about the Orlando/Hill situation versus the Detroit/Hill situation that was going to make the Magic champs?" Keep in mind that Hill had Stack and Houston with him at different points, so TMac doesn't change it much.

16. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

I agree totally, man. I'm a hardcore Reggie Miller fan. People like Rose and O'Neal really realized their potential when they got to Indy. It's a good team that's had its ups and downs over the years, but remained solid. When Smits, Jackson, Davis left I was worried that they'd suffer, but they make good draft picks and solid trades. Not big name players, but solid talent.

17. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

ESPN.com is reporting that Grant Hill will undergo another surgical procedure on his ankle and will be out for the remainder of the season. This signing is looking like more of a bust every day.

18. Robert Wainwright

Robert Wainwright Stunt Coordinator

You guys are killin' me with this.
    Duncan was ready to sign with the Magic until Robinson convinced him to stay. We're going to make another run at him. He realizes that to win it all again, he needs to come in a dominate a really week Eastern Conf.
    Maybe then....
    The elusive NBA Title!

[​IMG]

19. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor