What's new

Grandma SugaBooga is learning some new tricks. LOL (1 Viewer)

SugaBooga

Auditioning
Real Name
Yolanda
Hi everyone,
Well, all this technical stuff is new to me, but I'm going to hang in there and learn everything I can. There's a new chapter in my life. My recently divorced daughter and my grandkids are moving in this weekend. The house is paid for so why not. She's alone, I'm alone and we both love the kids. Besides, isn't that what family is really for.

The old Tube Tv finally died a couple of weeks ago and I went out and got all this fancy dancy stuff. I ordered Verizon Fios Cable (we had the antenna and OTA channels), with internet and telephone.
I got a Samsung Smart TV, a used Panasonic 5.1 hometheatre in a box from Amazon, I got a Tivo Premiere (on sale for $50.00 right now at tivo.com), two of the Tivo Minis so we could stream tv, and as a surprise and added bonus for the grands, I got a Wii U and an Ipad. Problem is, I don't know how to hook any of it up and the geek squad wants a kidney to help me out.

So I joined the forum and posted a question. The tech talk is a bit much for me, but if you take it nice and slow, I can follow right along. I want to stay current with my grandkids. I want to learn how to do for myself.

Thank you all.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I answered the other thread. I'll give you the cliff notes here.The HTiB only has 1 digital audio input.You have three devices(TV, TiVo and WiiU).Your TV since you only have 2 HDMI...You need...4 HDMI4 toslink3-1 HDMI switch3-1 toslink switch. You have no other options with the Panasonic.That is why they never get recommended.A low cost pre-package(accessories4less is a good source) like the Denon DHT1513ba(currently $300) would have been 4 HDMI and done(although you'd have to provide a separate DVD/ BD player).

SugaBooga

Auditioning
Real Name
Yolanda
Thank you so much HTF expert. It took me a moment but I figured out what you were saying. Lol. Well, some of my daughters things arrived yesterday and one of them was non other than a Panasonic TV. I think going to give her the HTiB and go look for the Denon system. Do you recall where you saw it for about $300? AMAZON has it for $500. Again, thank you for your suggestion. It's a good idea.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
When you get that Denon(or a Yamaha/Onkyo. Just don't get the Onkyo 3500. Don't ask...just don't get it)You have two options on "TV app sound to Denon/Yamaha/ Onkyo"1. Use ARC. It is a feature that allows the single HDMI to send video to the TV from the devices connected to the sound system...and allow audio from the TV back.*2. Use a toslink. ARC is not guaranteed to work between two brands. ARC, because of CEC (I forget what Samsung calls it, but Panny calls it VieraLink), bring usability issues. Such as you want to listen to FM radio...nothing else can be on. *before you think..."Oh, I can use the TV as a hub Using ARC" . TVs do not pass audio correctly. My opinion...forget ARC, and use option 2.

SugaBooga

Auditioning
Real Name
Yolanda
Ok Schan and Sam....

I'm about to order the Denon or go see if I can price match a new one at Best Buy. My Arc cables and Digital Optical cables (TosLink) came in from Amazon yesterday. When I set it all up....

Connect TV to Tivo
Connect Tivo to Receiver
Connect Wii U to Tv or Receiver
Connect DVD player to Tv or Receiver
Use all digital cables and none of the ARC?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not exactly on your connections...

Tivo to AVR via HDMI
WiiU to AVR via HDMI
DVD to AVR via HDMI (if your DVD player does not have HDMI...Alco, Wal-Mart, Target...and everyone else have $30-ish DVD players that do)

Then...between the TV and AVR...
1 toslink and 1 HDMI

So...4 HDMI and 1 toslink.

And I doubt you will get Best Buy to price match A4L...unless they have an open-box return...then maybe.

refurb is "not equal" to new-in-box* (as far as stores and Denon care).

A "new one" from Best Buy will have a 2yr warranty on the AVR and probably 5-7 on the speakers(I do not know the specifics).
The "refurb" from A4L has a 1yr warranty...on everything.

That...is why "good luck with the price match".

But, you never know. If they'll let you have it anywhere near $400....that would be worth it. To get the 2yr(or 3yr) extension from A4L is half the cost difference anyway.

*From Best Buy...
New-in-box
Floor sample
Open-box return

All mean the same thing to Denon. Meaning you get 2yrs on the AVR portion and whatever the "speaker warranty" is(again, no I don't have any specifics).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, what I would do...go to Best Buy(maybe even HH Gregg)...

Go in pre-pared.

Look at the Denon 1513BA and the Onkyo 5500/5600(HH Gregg will have these...so do Meijer stores)

Put in your "cart", at A4L, the system, a 3yr and shipping(if applicable..some will come with shipping)...

Use that overall cost as your bargaining chip for a new one at whatever store you choose. They'll bite...or they won't.

SugaBooga

Auditioning
Real Name
Yolanda
I was just about to leave out. My HHGregg is right across the street from my Best Buy. I just saw the back of the Denon and it looks like a very easy set up. I do thank you for explaining that above as well. Just makes it sooooo much easier. I currently have all the speakers on the TV stand even the wireless rear speakers. I hope I can still do this with the Denon. I hate wires everywhere. I do have an electrician who can hide them for me.

You have been such a great help Sam (Schan) and you to Sam (Posten). I feel like I am back in school once again. I am learning so much and the internet is my best friend. I will keep you all posted. On my way to the big box stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks