What's new

Grandfather update... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Well, for those few who read the original note, unfortunatly the blood clot could not be fixed, and his lower right leg had to be removed to contain the problem. Don't know if that was the only problem, but it was the only one I was told by my parents...

Apparently, he seems to be doing well, and is in high spirits, but it's going to take some time getting used too. It's going to be tough not to stare, or to look at the 'injury' for the first few months without being rude while doing so.... It's the first thing on my mind, but my parents tell me not to bring it up when I go see him....
This is something that has never been dealt with in my familly, but because of it being on TV every now and then, I've gotten familiar with the situation over the years. Herman, and Jasper from the Simpsons, for example..

My familly also tries to use humor to deal with the situation since he seems to be recovering so well, although I don't think they'd take too kindly to my 'dark' humor ;). As in, 'at least he won't have to go looking for a good spot at the mall anymore', heh. Or, 'I wonder what they do with the leg after they remove it, put it in a collection room?' Then again, being Scottish/Irish, he might not find that offensive at all and try to laugh along with me :)....

Well, I'm still trying to deal with it as best I can. Hopefully he'll be home adjusting to his new lifestyle in about a week or so. Looks like I'll have an extra driveway to plow and lawn to mow in the coming years like I used to do when I was younger... Ahh well, since it's the grandparents, I guess I can do it for free ;)..

Thanks for reading..

StephenA

Screenwriter
Glad he's ok. It has to be tough losing a limb. As long as his family is with him, I don't think it'll be as hard, and he'll probably get better sooner. It's understandable that people will stare, it's just in our nature. After a while it won't be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks