Grand Theft Auto: Vice City in dts !!!!! DTS gaming thread...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Loewen, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi guys, I just got a PR bulletin from dts regarding GTA:VC being the first video game released in the dts format. Here is a copy of the bulletin:
    GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY
    FEATURES DTS SURROUND SOUND
    Latest Version of Popular Game Raises the Bar for Audio
    Agoura Hills, CA - October 30, 2002 - DTS announced today that Rockstar Games has become the latest developer to incorporate DTS Interactive surround sound technology for PlayStationÃ’2 games into the hotly anticipated release, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Only DTS allows PlayStationÃ’2 players to experience real-time interactive discrete surround sound during actual gameplay. Widely expected in the gaming community to be one of the strongest selling titles for the PlayStationÃ’2 this holiday season, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City debuted at retail on October 29th.
    Published by Rockstar Games, developer Rockstar North has incorporated DTS Interactive specifically to enhance the gameplaying experience through sound so that players feel as though they are in the middle of the game. After hooking their console up to a DTS-capable surround sound system, players need only select DTS from the audio menu to experience the best audio effects available on the PlayStation2.
    "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is a perfect game to incorporate DTS Interactive. Players will feel like they are surrounded by the city and its environs, which transforms the role-playing activity in the game," said Jon Kirchner, President and CEO of DTS. "The popularity of this game will help people discover how DTS is the best audio option for PlayStation2 games."
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City adds to the growing arsenal of existing and forthcoming PlayStation2 titles that feature the real-time DTS Interactive encoder. Expanding the DTS commitment to current and next generation consumer electronics delivery devices, DTS Interactive allows gameplayers to enjoy the same high-quality DTS digital surround sound found in cinemas and DVD-Video / DVD-Audio titles.
    Introduced in September 2001, the DTS Interactive software developers kit (SDK) is available to game developers directly through their respective territories' PlayStation2 developer Web sites.
    About DTS
    DTS (Digital Theater Systems, Inc.) is a digital technology company dedicated to delivering the ultimate entertainment experience. A pioneer in multi-channel audio, DTS is featured on more than 21,000 motion picture screens worldwide; in home cinema, car audio, PC and game console products, as well as 5.1 Music, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio and DVD-ROM software. DTS decoders are in every major brand of Home Cinema component, and in more than 16 million consumer electronics products. Founded in 1993, the company is headquartered in Agoura Hills, California and has offices in the United Kingdom and Japan. For further information, please visit www.dtsonline.com.
    DTS, DTS-ES and Neo:6 are trademarks of Digital Theater Systems, Inc.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

3. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Several EA games were released in DTS last year. What's really important, though, is that GTA:VC is in DTS. Oh joy!

Mine is on its way from Amazon.

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

What they said Gregg[​IMG].

5. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I know for sure SSX Tricky for the PS2 has DTS.
    I just think it's COOL that they've come up with a way to use a pipeline of the PS2 CPU to do DTS. Sony Hardware may be a PITA to develop for, but when they figure out the tricks it's amazing what they can do [​IMG]

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Dooh!! I should have read it better!!

Okay, not the first but the latest :b

7. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

BTW, it sounds nothing like real DTS. Playing the PS2 on a good Pro Logic II system sounds much better in my opinion.

8. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

While the DTS in NHL 2002 was quite good I find the DTS in Vice City to be pretty poor. I think it sounds better in PL II so I don't even utilize the DTS option with Vice City.

9. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

The game pushes the PS2 to the utmost. It doesn't surprise me to hear they didn't do a lot with 5.1 effects which might have pushed the processors further than they could go.

10. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Well even though I love DTS, thanks to Sony only providing optical out on the PS2 I will be playing GTA VC in Dobly ProLogic II.[​IMG]
    Long optical cables are just ridiculously expensive.
    I made my own component video cables so I could enjoy the best picture possible and I just wish there was a coaxial digital out on the PS2 so I could enjoy DTS!
    Dang it....

11. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

12. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Regarding optical to coax converters, I am using one with my PS2. I got it from The Sound Professionals(do a search on the web for them). It was like 20 bucks and it works great.

13. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Rather than the usual dts 3/2 or 3/2+1 that my receiver typically reads, I'm getting dts 2/2 from GTA:VC, with no centre channel. 4 channel dts?

I haven't spent enough time with it yet to tell how it stacks up to pro-logic.

14. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

I am getting no centre channel either - I'm imagining it is indeed 4.0 dts. Results are pleasing, better than standard stereo or Pro-Logic (my receiver doesn't have Pro-Logic II capability). Voices do emanate from all channels which is a little strange, but panning is nice and so is ambiance. I'm constanting hearing pedestrians' voices from either the left or right surrounds! Too bad it isn't a 5.0 dts mix with voices coming solely from the centre channel.
    Oh well. [​IMG] I'm happy enough with it.

15. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

I think the DTS on VC sounds great. My receiver does DPL but not DPLII. I really like how it is used in the game, so far the speakers and the subwoofer have been working pretty good. Its sounds REALLY GOOD.

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

16. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

17. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

18. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I went from playing VC in DTS to Pro Logic II and I like it much better. The game sounds more "natural" in PLII. It even sounds better in DTS Neo, but PLII is the best to my ears.

-Dean-

19. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Heck, my receiver doesn't even do DPLII, so I have to play it in DPL, which I prefer over the DTS in this game. The DTS is weak--more of a gimmick than anything.

20. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Dave, do you have a link to where you can get that converter. I did a search and got quite a few sites with possibilities.