What's new

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (1 Viewer)

Jason Guardiano

Stunt Coordinator
check your pm's

I got stuck on the PC version of GTA3, --couldn't get used to the controls (although I am a mouse and keyboard fps player :p ) (and the framerate trouble didn't help). Hopefully on a console I can get the hang of it along with the new targeting system on San Andreas.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Im playing the XBox SA right now...good god, this map is gynormous...

So far its everything I thought it would be and more...MAN, the scope is amazing!!!

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
David,

Have you had a chance to compare the graphics and framerate between the Xbox and PS2 versions (assuming that you've seen or played the PS2 release)?

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Just picked it up at at Best Buy on my lunch break. Figured "what the hell" since if someone advertises it for less than $49.99 in the next 30 days I can bring in the receipt and get the difference back.

GGGGGGGGGAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWD, I can't wait to get home and play this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Romier has it down, as I never played the PS2 GTA. But the graphics, aside from the trees (which never did look good in any GTA) are really fantastic!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, the trees on both the PC and Xbox version show a white artifact around the edges. The same artifacting appeared in Vice City on the PC from what I remember. Seems to be relative to the engine and how its been ported to both formats. Either way, it's a minor complaint that's hardly noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm usually very picky about framerate. It can kill or save a game for me if everything else is in place. GTA:SA is so good that even the at times "stuttering" framerate on the PS2 doesn't deter from my enjoyment of it. Not a bit. It's really that good. So it's really exciting that the ports have apparently improved in this area.

The targeting system, as I've mentioned before, has been improved so much that I find myself approaching firefights without worrying about the camera flipping around on me or the target not appearing properly. The RPG elements are also a blast, although I must say that I haven't had to do any gym work or food-eating since the beginning parts of the game. There's just no pressing need to keep in shape after a certain point if you don't eat too much junk food (makes me wish it were easier to "become slothful" again).

Maybe one of these days I'll try extra hard to make a "mega-Johnson" and fatten him up a bit.

The "gangbustas" aspect of the plot has been overstated. It's the game's selling point and "starting point", but much of the game is extremely diverse in all manner of gameplay, character, and setting.

I just acquired the jetpack! This game just keeps getting more and more surreal...

~s

David Galindo

Screenwriter

Yeah, but its no big deal. Only noticable during cinemas.

Also, there was some slight slowdown in some areas, but it lasted only 1 second and Im assuming it was to load the new areas. It only dropped to maybe 20fps anyways. No big deal either.

Man, this game is going to take quite a long time to finish...$50 well spent!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Just got San Andreas on the Xbox yesterday. I played the previous 2 GTAs but I must really suck at San Andreas. It took me forever to master the bike (I didn't realize that pushing up on the control stick slows you down). And when I finally did get the hang of it, I still kept dying. If I pedaled too fast, I'd outrun my homies, and if I stayed with them, I'd either get shot or get run over by those guys chasing us. Hopefully the rest of the game isn't as hard as the first mission.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Spent about 4 hours last night playing around, just exploring and doing the first few missions to get the haircut and food availability going. All I can say is WOW. Just the beginning (Los Santos) section alone is as big, if not BIGGER, than the entirety of Vice City. Unreal. The paper map doesn't even begin to give an idea of the shear HUGENESS of San Andreas. I've never had this much fun getting lost!

Tooling around on the bike is a lot of fun. I thought it'd get old after a while because you have no radio and it's the slowest mode of transportation (besides walking), but I'm still loving it! It took me forever to get my bearings just like it did with the last two installments but I'm already starting to get a feel for where things are and can at least find my way home if I don't stray too far out of Ganton.

The eating thing seems a bit of a non-event right now but maybe this will become a bigger deal as I play through. Either way, it doesn't seem to make much difference right now.

The ability to swim is, for me, probably the best new feature. No more poison water! YEA!!!!!! I can't count the number of times I wanted to throw the controller through my TV screen because I accidentally pluged into a canal or something and had to start over again. One frustration eliminated, at least.

I could go on and on (and probably will...later). :)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Richard,

Overall, I found the missions in San Andreas to be FAR easier than in any of the two previous games. More fun, too. So far I have only had ONE series of missions that I have completely given up on, and they aren't necessary to proceed through the game. These are the ridiculously difficult "Zero" RC airplane missions in San Fierro.
I had some trouble with the first bike mission at first too, but in hindsight I was just getting used to the controls. It's good to tap the button rapidly to go much faster. This REALLY speeds up the bike. As you continue in the game, your character becomes faster and stronger.

Eating is pretty much a non-event in this game, I think. I never stop to get food now unless my energy is down and it's an emergency. It just isn't that necessary after you bulk up your character.

s

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have no XBOX nor PS2 but I want this game. I could buy it on PC but I'm afraid it'd be less fun to play on computer with computer controls. And I don't know if my specs are up to date. 2.6GHz with 2GB RAM. So Romier (or anyone with the PC version), what would you say for me as far as the PC version is concerned?

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Kevin,

I'd go ahead and grab the PC version. Your computer specs are more than adequate and you will be glad you did.

I was introduced to the GTA franchise with GTA III on PC and it was a BLAST. I was actually afraid to go from the PC version to the Xbox version when it came out because I was so in love with the keyboard/mouse combo. It's a trade-off either way. IMO, Xbox controls are better for the driving but just about everything else is easier and more responsive with the computer controls. They both have their pluses and minuses. The computer version has slightly better graphics (better resolution) and further draw distance, so those are definitely big-time points in its favor.

One way or the other you should be playing this game. Seriously, you will wonder why you didn't get it sooner. Best games ever made. Bar...None. :)

Oh, also: If you haven't played any of the other GTA games, at least get VICE CITY. It's a work a' frickin art.

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
I just got done playing the first 6 missions of the PC version. I am very impressed. Its taking some time getting used to the keyboard controls, after adapting to the PS2. I am sure it will be a quick learning curve.

The graphics are so much better. I am running it at 1600x1200. So, so, so much better than the PS2. I can actually see small details. It helps that at my computer I am much closer to the screen as well. The shading and reflections are plentiful and look wonderfully rendered. The characters have much greater detail to them as well.

Anyone else getting some buggy sound?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Plenty to run the game with as Kenneth noted Kevin. Make sure you have a decent video card also, but I see no reason why you couldn't run the game your setup.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Running great on PC for me, slowly getting to 'master' the controls.

How do you recruit gang members on PC? Right Mouse and W?

Gotta add, the PC packaging is the slickest I've ever seen outside of a limited edition pack.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks