Grand Prix

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronnie Schildha, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Ronnie Schildha

I am wondering if Grand Prix will be released in my lifetime. Has there ever been any mention of this movie being released?

2. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

I'd love to see a DVD of GRAND PRIX. I do hope there are plans to release it soon.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

4. Tim-H.

Tim-H. Second Unit

So...yes mentions, no news. I believe this played at Film Forum in NYC last year with a new transfer, which is often a harbinger of DVD release.
    I'd love to finally see this. Was there ever a laserdisc commentary by Frankenheimer?

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I have the 3 sided MGM laserdisc of Grand Prix. It's a pretty nice disc in that it is widescreen and preserves the multi image shots during the opening credits and as far as I know, a complete film. It includes the musical overture prior to the film's start and the entr'acte with music.

The disc is in stereo and does not have an audio commentary. The best we'll have for now is to listen to Frankeheimer speak in the DVD audio commentaries for both "Seconds" and "Ronin" in which he refers to Grand Prix's use of camera mounts and filming techniques during driving sequences. There is an impressive set of shots during the final race where a car mounted camera pans over from a car tire facing forward towards the driver, who is obviously the actor. Or a shot where the camera is mounted to the car and faces forward and as the car enters a banked corner, the camera will tilt to maintain level as the car tilts.

Finally, the laserdisc's jacket is a gatefold type with some publicity photos from the film and a theater lobby card and shots from the film.

If a DVD is in the works, hope there's commentary in some form by James Garner, Eva Marie Saint, Jessica Walter and Toshiro Mifune plus any others if possible. A documentary on the making of course, perhaps a piece on the cars of the period and of course a piece on the 1966 GT 350 Shelby Mustang Garner drives in the film.

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I believe this is the film where composer Maurice Jarre took his previously written Theme from "Dr. Zhivago" and re-arranged the melody backwards and gave us the Theme from "Grand Prix". Well, I guess if you're gonna steal from somebody, it might as well be oneself!

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

I wouldn't count on a Toshiro Mifune participation in a possible commentary, Nelson. He's dead. It would be nice though if the put back his own voice. He's dubbed.

8. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick

And really badly, at that. Makes him look and sound stiff and sorta silly. He scenes al suck because of terrible dubbing.

9. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I think cartoon voice Paul Frees dubbed him, as was also the case in "Midway." Despite his many talents, whenever Frees dubbed Japanese actors it always sounded straight out of the worst stereotypes imaginable.

10. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Dubbing foreign speaking actors in English language films was not unusual in the 1960s. Gert Frobe in Goldfinger and Ursula Andress in Dr. No were both dubbed because of thick accents. In later films, after their English improved, they spoke in their own voices. Ingmar Bergman favorite Ingrid Thulin was dubbed by Angela Lansbury no less in her American film debut 4 Horsemen Of The Apocalypse are but a few examples.

11. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    When I use to have the Turner Classic Movies channel, they showed a making of the film documentary. I now have Comcast which for some strange reason don't carry TCM.

I have a magazine article of the film on my Cinerama web site - http://cinerama.topcities.com/grandprix.htm

Roland

12. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

The Making of documentary (10 minutes)is avaliable on DVD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Roland-

Thanks for the link to your site and the article on Grand Prix. That was great to see and it explained a little of how they got some of those amazing shots. Also interesting to read that Steve McQueen tried to be in this film. Which would lead one to think that because Frankenheimer and McQueen's efforts to work together didn't sort out for Grand Prix, this resulted in McQueen's film, Le Mans.

Nelson

14. Fredric

Fredric Stunt Coordinator

With the wealth of interview material and articles with and by JF about this film, someone should be able to compile them all, paraphrase them for copyright purposes and make a commentary track that would be the next best thing to a JF track.

15. Fredric

Fredric Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the link, Roland. I added it to the links page on my forum!

16. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

TCM broadcasts Grand Prix on a regualr basis in letterbox. Sometime ago I recorded the movie on DVD-R using an E80 and when I finally got around to watching it last night I was suprised how good it came out. I recorded to DVD-RAM and using an E35 re-formatted to 16x9 and re-recorded to DVD-R. Made a cover from posters downloaded from different sites and printed a picture on the DVD-R. Looks like a commercial DVD.