Grand Prix, Le Mans, & Gumball Rally - Dvd Versions Someday?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent Avery, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Anybody know anything about these particular movies as to if and when the Studio(s) who own the rights will ever think about releasing them? Everytime a widescreen laserdisc version is offered on Ebay their popularity always insures the bidding will surpase anything resembling a reasonable price. Which tells me that they would be worth the effort to put on dvd. With the passing of director John Frankenheimer you would think that Warner(I assume they own the rights as it was a MGM/UA release) might consider getting Grand Prix onto dvd. Like many of you I am still awaiting The Italian Job and if any of you want to mention other older films with an automotve theme that need to be released please list it, I'd like to hear about them.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

Yes, please....
    I needs the Grand Prix and The Italion Job
    on the dvd.

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I started a thread on Grand Prix earlier this year. I could not stand the waiting, so I picked it up on Laserdisc on Ebay. I have watched it three times. It was on TCM this summer as well. I recorded it, and had fun time comparing the the quality of my LD to the TCM broadcast. A DVD release begs for a new 5.1 mix (along with the the original theatrical mix, of course.)

Last year, SPEEDVISION had a special airing of Grand Prix, which included extensive interviews with James Garner and John Frankenheimer, discussing the making of the film, and behind the scenes footage. It was hosted by Bruce Dern, and it was fantastic. I remember laughing outloud when Bruce asked John a question about the racing footage. "what about those assholes who used photograohic effects...." They showed a clip from a Kirk Douglas racing movie, wher Kirk was spinning the steering wheel while rear projected background shot by him. Then you see Garner actually driving a race car at over 100 mph.

4. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

While our engines are idling waiting for all these titles, how about The Driver (1978), with Ryan O'Neal and Bruce Dern? I know I'm not alone in wanting this one. Anytime now, Fox!
    Cheers.

DS.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

"Whatsa behinda me isa not important!!" Gawd, the Gumball Rally was a hilarious movie! I'd love a DVD of it...as should any good fan of Cannonball Run! [​IMG]

6. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    and while we're at it... what about the best '70s road movie.. Vanishing Point ?

7. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Gumball Rally is one of my most anticipated titles. I hope Warner gets to it soon.
    "I'd say he's possessed of a severe case of masochism."
    "She's beautiful, she wants me now, I cannot deny her."
    [​IMG]
    Rob

8. John Nelson

John Nelson Stunt Coordinator

Sigh. The thought of Grand Prix with DVD clarity and sound is too hard to wait for. Would love to see a release with that great Speedvision presentation. Loved the Garner and John Frankenheimer interviews and the shots of Garner and Jacques Villeneuve on the banking at Monza.

Well, at least I'll get "The Day the Earth Stood Still" before too many more months go by.

9. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Stunt Coordinator

I agree with you on all three titles. I also add my second to THE DRIVER and VANISHING POINT. One other car title missing in action is:

DIRTY MARY CRAZY LARRY

Mark

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

11. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

I would buy all 3 of these DVD's in a heartbeat.

Especially Grand Prix

12. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

13. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

While this doesn't directly apply to the discussion, back in April there was an event called the Gumball 3000 (NY to LA) which has DVD called Mischief 3000 coming out in stores (Wal-Mart and Best Buy) on the 29th. You can also buy it online (now) at http://www.teckademics.com, which is what I did but I'm not home when the Fed Ex man drops by thus there's no telling when I'm going to get to see it.
    Original Gumball 3000 discussion at DTM Power
    Mischief 3000 Reviews
    Mischief 3000 Video *****A Must Download*****
    Mischief 3000 Official trailer
    About Gumball 3000
    Launched in 1999 by Maximillion Cooper, the 'Gumball 3000' rally has fast gained a reputation as being one the worlds most notorious and high profile events. Inspired by the liberating and infamous 'Gumball Rally' and 'Cannonball Run' films of the 70s, 'Gumball 3000' has recreated the 'spirit' and 'fun' of those classics by bringing together the worlds of film, fashion, music, sport and business, for a 6 day, 3000 mile (hence, '3000') road trip, punctuated by the wildest parties.
    In an attempt to bring back some style, glamour and attitude into 'professional' motor racing, Maximillion had originally planned a 'private event' for 50 of his friends to launch his ambitions to enter a stylish and rock 'n'roll team into the Le Mans 24-hour race. That was the plan; however the first 'Gumball 3000' rally across Europe was more successful than anyone could have predicted, and immediately captivated an audience far wider than motor sport had previously known, leading to a host of high-profile global companies and household names wanting to get involved, including a licensing deal to bring out a Sony Playstation 2 'Gumball 3000' computer game! Everyone, "from film and rock stars, supermodels, skateboaders, 'Jackass'', to the world's most wealthy", had become 'fans' of the 'Gumball 3000', catapulting the event and the media attention beyond all expectations.
    I will give a review as soon as the Fed Ex man stops stopping by when I am at school.