Grand Canyon from Las Vegas

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Slade, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

I'm heading out to Las Vegas later this year and was wondering if there are any relatively close places to check out the Grand Canyon. I've read that some of the places are around a 5 hour drive just to get out there. Is there anything closer where you can get a good look at the Canyon? I saw a place on the map called Quartermaster View Point that looks like it wouldn't be too far but I can't find much information about it and I wasn't sure what the view was like from there. Any recommendations?

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I flew up to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas about 8 years ago and it was a great experience. We landed at the local airport and then a bus took us up to the Canyon.

3. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

That sounds great, wish I could do that. But i'm trying to keep the costs down. I'll already have a rental car out there so I was thinking I'd just drive myself out there. I just don't know how easy it is to do or if it's feasible to just drive out there for the day.

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Mike I did it about two years ago. The drive took me about three hours to get there. I went to the south canyon. The view was unbelievable[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I don't know much about Quartermaster Point. It does look doable as a day trip out of Vegas. The view looks nice, but it's NOT the classic South Rim view you're used to seeing in pictures & movies.

There's really only one route to the South Rim - south out of Vegas on I-515 or US 95 to Boulder City. US 93 over Hoover Dam down to Kingman, AZ. East on I-40 to Williams. North on 64, which merges with US 180 and takes you into the South Rim area.

I did this 280-mile drive last year (in reverse, actually) - it was a good 4 to 5 hours (not counting stops to gas up & eat). While you can book it on the Interstate portion, there are a number of stretches where the going's not so fast. For example, you'll probably run into a little congestion near Hoover Dam, as there's major construction going on there now (they're building a bypass route around the dam - a result of 9/11 and terrorist concerns).

Yeah, you can do this in a day. Get up early, haul ass to GC, do the "Chevy Chase tour" (see National Lampoon's Vacation and you'll know what I mean), and drag ass back to Vegas. It'll be a long, tiring day.

However, if you can fit it into your trip, I HIGHLY recommend booking a room at GC and spending the night, so you can spend a little time there and actually enjoy it. I've been to GC 3 times and it remains perhaps the single most stunning natural site I've ever visited. If you can stay a night, you'll be able to take in a GC sunset and/or sunrise - one of nature's greatest shows. You can enjoy a leasurely stroll along the rim, or even venture a bit into the Canyon on the Bright Angel trail.

I realize you may not be able to fit this in, but if you can, you won't regret it. It's really worth extending the trip, since Vegas is relatively close compared to Georgia!!