What's new

Gran Turismo to support 480p & 1080i? (1 Viewer)

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
According to people who have the japanese version of the game there is a 1080i mode that makes the game look quite a bit sharper. There are some comparison pictures floating around the net.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,

A preview of the Japanese version from the folks at GameSpot confirms that there IS indeed an option for 480p or 1080i with a capable display and cables.

It would appear that it is not a true 1080i picture but upscaled from 480i but that it still looks better than 480i, depending on the TV's scaler I assume. An email to Sony North America didn't get me answers as to whether the PS2 itself was capable of outputting 1080i but a glimpse at the spec sheet for the PS2 indicates that it is capable of a screen resolution up to 1280:1024.

With games I have that include 480p capability the difference is rather slight on my ISF calibrated 55" HDTV.

Bill

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
It's *official*: the N. American release date is February 22; for Europe, it's March 9.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
There's $20 rebate for the Logitech Pro wheel when you purchase it and GT 4. I ordered one last night from Amazon.

~T

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
edit- ok found the rebate (link), thanks for the heads up

The wheel's a couple bucks cheaper at Newegg.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
My God, could they do this with GTA:San Andreas? Man, I wish they used this technology in this game. Even if it isn't true 1080i, those screenshots show the difference.

Bring it!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Fry's has it available today for $49.99.

Does anyone have the Logitech Driving Force Pro or any other steering wheel? Is the steering supposed to be stiff, especially if you want to make a short turn? It also seems to have a mind of its own sometimes. This is my first wheel, so I don't know what it should be like.

~T

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I love translating stuff. The video options screen reads:

Video settings

Widescreen settings: Wide (16:9)
Vertical position
Horizontal position
Video output
- Normal
- Progressive (480p)
- High Vision (1080i)

The button to the lower left is cancel.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Isn't this game out already? Someone who owns can check the US version to confirm [I'm not a PS2 owner so I can't]. Just curious to find out how it looks...

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'm unable to make comparisons to previous versions. I'm playing it in 480p on a 90" projection screen, so it looks great to me. :)

~T

Chris_Liberti

Stunt Coordinator
I'll make some comparisons tonight, I have GT-3 A spec, GT-2 and a friend that I might be able to borrow the original from even and I have a 42" HDTV

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Graphically it looks fantastic. A very nice step up from Gran Turismo 3. The lighting effects are just much smoother. The reflections look even better this time around and the tracks (expecially the city-scapes) are wonderfully rendered and bursting with detail (including audience members that will run out into the middle of the road to take a snapshot of your car in the rally modes). Saying these are the greatest graphics to ever grace a console is an utterly silly comment to make but Gran Turismo 4 definitely puts itself on a very high pedistal as far as Playstation 2 games is concerned.

The game does indeed fully support widescreen sets as well as 480p and 1080i. The 1080i upscaled mode is a definite step up from the 480p display. It's not quite as smooth or jaw-dropping as playing say Amped 2 or Freedom Fighters at 720p but anyone with an HD capable set will definitely be impressed.

One major complaint however is that the in-game menu's are only capable of 480i which in turn forces your display to constantly switch in and out of the proper play mode you set. With the 1080i mode it can sometimes lead to the menu and load screens appearing garbled and giving the game a very unpolished feel. Quite a silly oversite on Polyphony Digital's end to not have the menu's display properly at the set resolution. Nonetheless, I don't want to appear as though I am looking a gift horse in the mouth. I never expected 1080i to begin with and considering it is something I thought I would never see on the Playstation 2 (even upscaled 1080i), I can't complain much.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
This is my impression of the game running in 1080i versus S-video. I have a 47" Mitsubishi HDTV.

The aliasing (aka jagged edges) is more noticeable in 1080i. Also, the shading isn't very smooth, as there is some banding in the gradients. Its a toss up between this and S-video because you get some "free" anti-aliasing with S-video and composite. So do you want it blurry? Or razor sharp, exposing its flaws?

I bet the designers were not expecting users to see the exposed flaws due to the higher resolution. Its kind of like looking at old 2D arcade games in MAME on your computer monitor, although not nearly as bad. I'm just trying to think of a good comparison.

I must say though, I was initially shocked at how clear it looked.

Users who are viewing this thread