Gran Turismo to support 480p & 1080i?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Eric Alderson, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I just read this on HDTVArcade.com. There is a forum post that links to the Japanese GT4 site which mixed in the info are the numbers "480p" and "1080i". I also noticed that it will support LAN play. Here is the link to that post. If anyone can read Japanese, could you translate?

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/...pic.php?t=1236

http://www.playstation.jp/scej/title/gt4/main.html

Click on about and then click the arrow under the "download" link twice to get to the specs page where 1080i is shown.

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

PS2 cannot do 1080i as far as I know. And reading the box that Sony sent our store, this game wont go 480p either. I think I remember dev interviews saying they cant do 480p and have the same effects in it.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    this is from the official sony japan website...

[​IMG]

you better call up sony before they make a huge mistake and release the game with video modes that the ps2 can't handle [​IMG] wish i knew what the rest of the numbers meant. and hopefully "gt force pro" is in reference to the logitech driving force pro.

CJ

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Hopefully they anti-alias enough to cure the jaggies from GT3. I'm looking forward to playing this at my buddy's as he bought the Force Pro wheel to go along with it.

5. Sean Moon

Ok, so why has there NEVER been a PS2 game that has ever been 1080i, much less 720p. Hell, there arent that many 480p games on the system either.

Theoretically the system could do those resolutions, but actually drawing the polygons and doing it I dont think so. If it could we would see it more often.

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i dont know, but it would be easier to explain that, than to try to figure out why "480p" and "1080i" are randomly displayed among all those other japanese characters.

CJ

7. Eric Alderson

Hopefully we'll find out about this stuff in a few days when it's released in Japan. [​IMG]

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Speculation is that the photo mode, where next to no processing is involved, may be the 1080i part.

I also read in an IGN interview that they won't be supporting 480p for processing power restrictions. Maybe the delay has them changing their minds?

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'm really looking forward to a final "official" car list.

CJ

10. Sean Moon

Ok, so some people over in several other gaming forums are "confirming" that this game truly runs in 1080i. No one in the forum truly knows how 1080i works on a television and some think you can do it over composite cable, but a few people say that they are running the game in 1080i. If I am wrong and started this whole argument, I will publicly apologize, but I still have a VERY HARD time believing that Polyphony was able to pull off a feat such as this, seeing as no one else has come close on any of the current consoles. That all of a sudden we have this giant leap in output. Any OFFICIAL confirmation about 1080i in game, and not the Korean site?

11. Eric Alderson

[​IMG]

Can anyone read this? [​IMG]

12. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

First one's "normal"
    Second's "progressive"
    Third's "high (something)"

13. Eric Alderson

14. Sean Moon

so why would the menus be only 480p, but the racing(the graphics intensive part)be 1080.....little backwards methinks.

15. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

I've heard that all gameplay will be in 480i only as that's the best they could do in order to fit all of the cars/tracks onto one 8.5GB DVD.

To my knowledge the PS2 does not have the ability to output anything higher than 480p.

I began reading the thread at IGN but many appear to be confused as to what 1080i really is. I'll wait until I see an official review of the US version.

Bill

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

You've heard wrong. People with the actual game in their grubby hands are saying it's outputting 1080i in-game. I've seen comparision screenshots showing the difference between 480p & 1080i in-game. It may not be rendering at the full resolution of 1080i due to limitations of the PS2 hardware, but it's sure outputing a 1080i picture by the accounts I've read.

17. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

I've also heard that it's just upscaling from 1080i to wither 480p or 1080i, whichever the user selects.

It sounds fantastic, even if it's only upscaling, but I'll wait for official reviews before getting too excited.

Anyone heard of a narrower time frame than Q1 2005???

Bill

18. Sean Moon

Some other forums are debunking the 1080i stuff. The image comes to the TV as 1080i but the game is not actually rendering a true 1080i image. Using some form of upscaling or software to take the existing render and do a faux 1080i output.

And I agree that most of these boards that are posting a lot of this stuff dont know their elbow from their asshole when it comes to HDTV and resolutions. Most still say that the image is probably 4:3 and then stretched to 1080i because 1080i is a native 4:3 format.

19. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I call shenanigans. Those shots (which are off a TV, not a screenshot) looks more like the difference between 480i and 480p. And considering that some are saying it's coming over composite (although they could mean component), I'm skeptical.
    Exactly. Even if the PS2 was capable of 1080i (which would be highly unlikely, unless they upgraded something for the SlimPS2), this is a system that chokes on some 480i/p material. How could it handle either 1080i or 540p?

20. Sean Moon

Evil Schenanigans! Next person who says that gets fired!

Anyways, looking at the pics it looks like a loss of texture quality for the added resolution. And some people on Beyond3d think that the system is using some software mode to trick the TV into tripling the line output or something. Search the www.beyond3d.com forums for their explanation.