What's new

Gran Turismo 4 (1 Viewer)

Mike Pattee

Second Unit

I have to disagree with this. I'd like them to include all of the tracks that they've used in the GT series so far. But they definately need to add 8-10 new tracks. But they should keep their previous tracks in for simple reason that it gives em that many more tracks.

I just ordered the logitech MOMO wheel and it should get here today. I'm hoping that I don't regret that when the new wheel comes out(if it does). Everything I've read about the wheel I ordered has been very very good.

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Well I love the Gran Turismo series. IMO I don't want damage, because half the fun for me is in the eye candy. I love looking at my Tuned, lowered black skyline. :D Very Drool worthy.

I would like all the previous Tracks - EVERY ONE of them even the small Autumn Ring. Of course plentey of new tracks and I am not talking about mirrored mode or reverse mode.

Skid Marks

Burnouts :) Smoke em up.

Used Cars - Bring em back.

I would love Lambos, Ferrari's & Mclaren F1 as well.

-Personally I am not interested in the Rally side of the game.

Regards

AXE

Bruce_S

Second Unit
Which wheel did you get? I got the one that launched with GT3 that has all the Gran Turismo logos on it, and it has 6 buttons on the wheel(XYABLR).
James,

My Logitech wheel have the GT3 logo as well but it doesn't have the six buttons. I got mine few days after the released of GT3 and than Logitech released the six buttons version.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
wait wait wait! on pc??? really??? i almost wet my pants! is there a link to confirm that??? am i gonna need a new videocard for that? currently using ti4600.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Felix, after GT3, SCEI said they were planning to put the next one on the PC as well as the PS2. Apart from that, details are non-existant.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Few titbits posted on IGN ...

"At a press assembly in Tokyo, Polyphony Digital president Kazunori Yamauchi made some comments about the upcoming sequel, Gran Turismo 4. He mentioned that although some improvements were made in Gran Turismo 3, many ideas were still not implemented, and that they, Polyphony Digital, want to "...fully explore the simulation aspects of the series."

"Yamauchi also said that "...a wholly redesigned gameplay system has been proposed, including new modes of play," and that network compatibility (online play) is something that the team is exploring. Online play for Gran Turismo 4 has been rumored for months, so although Yamauchi's comments are exciting, it comes as little surprise. Again, like a more complex physics engine, the inclusion of online play is a logical step for the series.

"Additionally, Yamauchi made a short comment in regards to damage modeling: "We're still interested in vehicle damage modeling, but that issue has caused some arguments with auto manufacturers." Since previous Gran Turismo games were not allowed to have damage modeling, chances are slim that the next incarnation of the series will have it, but at least we know that it is something Polyphony is pushing for. "

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
All I want is to be able to race your car(s) with either the computer or another player side by side in the quarter mile. :) It's not very track like to have one car do it at a time.

I'd like to see Ferarri & Lamborghini included.
I have the 100% save for GT3 and there is a Diablo. It frikkin' rocks but it looks like its a racing Diablo and not one you & me could buy.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I just picked up a logitech momo wheel to play GT3 with and all I can say is OMG. Makes such a difference in the game. I have to say its lived up to my expectations so far. Being able to feel the car break loose is amazing and also very helpful. I find its easier to get the right line as well as recover from a lot of spins and such.

I don't think I'd like to see damage in the game for the simple reason that I've never seen damage in any racing game done properly. I'm not saying they couldn't do it right and if they did then I probably wouldn't mind it.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Some juicy info posted on computerandvideogames from a 'behind closed doors' press only demo..

"After being wowed by GT4 footage at Sony's E3 press conference on Tuesday, we were gagging to know more about PS2's hottest game. And in a special demo to select members of the press yesterday afternoon, we got to take a closer look at the game in action and find out more about GT4's killer features.

Kazunori Yamauchi, head of Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo team, confirmed that GT4 will feature 500 different cars, including standard models, convertibles, modified motors, souped-up racers and "historically significant" vehicles.

As well as realistic environments from locations around the world including New York, Paris, London and the Grand Canyon, GT4 will also feature licensed circuits from every corner of the globe, including tracks from Japan, Europe and the United States, bringing the total number of courses to over 100.

Yamauchi-san also elaborated on his press conference claim that GT4 features a completely new physics engine that makes the cars perform in a more realistic manner.

He revealed that GT4 had been tested against real-life trials on the Tsukuba race course in Japan, and that professional drivers had clocked times which were virtually identical to the performance of expert GT4 players, proving that the game is as close to real racing as possible.

Yamauchi went on to say that the new physics engine also makes the cars easier to handle, and that players new to the world of GT won't find themselves spinning out of control so easily as they try to master the controls.

The AI of the rival drivers has also been tweaked to make them seem more 'human', with computer controlled racers showing more consideration for other racers on the track and avoiding slamming into the back of other vehicles as they burn around tight corners. He also said that the computer controlled cars would learn from their mistakes this time, making for an incredibly tough challenge on the harder difficulty settings.

Off the race track, Yamauchi also says that GT4 will offer gamers a more rewarding experience. Players will be able to visit virtual museums to take a closer look at GT4's classic cars (and take them for a spin, of course), and second-hand car dealers will also be available where players can test drive motors that are five or ten years old to see how they compare to their shiny new counterparts.

Yamauchi also gave more details on the special GT4 steering wheel that's being developed by peripherals supremos, Logitech, in association with Polyphony Digital.

The GT4 wheel will feature 900 degree rotation lock-to-lock, just like most modern motors, making for more natural steering and allowing players complete control when tackling tracks in dangerous conditions. The wheel will also feature stronger force feedback that reflects different cars and driving conditions in a more convincing manner, along with improved steering precision, all the buttons you'd normally find on a Dual Shock controller and an independent gear stick.

As far as online gaming is concerned, Yamauchi revealed that up to six cars will be able to compete at the same time. Unfortunately, he also revealed that the game will not support Sony's forthcoming PS2 Headset for car-to-car chat as he didn't want to risk compromising graphical quality or car physics.

He also hinted that the finished game will allow players to modify their car's appearance as well as it's engine, but he wouldn't be drawn any further on what customisation options gamers will be offered.

The presentation ended with a video that showed Yamauchi and his team visiting locations around the globe to take measurements which were used to make the tracks as realistic as possible. Amazingly, when the game footage kicked-in it was almost impossible to tell the difference between real-life video pictures and the in-game action. Without a doubt, it's the best looking driving sim. in the history of videogames."

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
proving that the game is as close to real racing as possible.
Yeah except no visible car damage and you'll probably still be able to bumper car your way around traffic and through crowded turns. No car damage takes so much away from making it perfect.

StevenK

Second Unit
Well, if we get it on the PC, it'll be just as good if not better than an XBox version! For those with a projector, can you imagine GT4 on a 100" screen with an ActLabs Wheel/Gear Shift combo? Droooooooollllllll.....

Of course I fear Sony will somehow cripple it on the PC based platforms to "show off" the PS2's power.

Personally, if it were only available for the PS2, I would break down and buy the PS2 in a heartbeat. PS2 proponents have always argued that the games matter more than the graphics, and when GT4 is released, it will be the first game that I agree with them!

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
My wishlist:

Transfer GT3 memory and cars

More songs on the soundtrack. I still have nightmares about "Kickstart My Heart", Snoop Dogg, and 99 Luftballoons.

Paint shop. I know that certain cars only come in certain colors, but I would love to be able to give my ride a custom paint job. While we're at it, customizable license plates, too.

No more "Vitz" races. I hate the circuits that require driving a crappy, pink car for 5 races, 20 laps each.

Ferrari

Stock cars. The F1 is in there, why not a NASCAR or two?

Make the resale value of cars more realistic after competely maxing out the performance. Maybe even trading cars with AI dealers.

Last one: the ability to gamble on the races online.;)

These are all minor, I'm really pumped about the game.:emoji_thumbsup:

Ben Clement

Auditioning
the game will not support Sony's forthcoming PS2 Headset for car-to-car chat
:angry:

I'd like to see individually-adjustable volume for SFX and music. I've played almost all of GT3 without any music at all, because it was too loud for my tastes. I would also like to see the PS2 hard drive come out before (or at the same time as) GT4 so it could support custom soundtracks.

Get rid of Test Track races, or have one at the most. On a similar note, don't have slow-car races on long tracks (like the Vitz on SSR11).

Bring back rewards for qualifying first. While it doesn't really matter later in the game, it really helps at the beginning.

As far as the cars go, if you're going to have a car company in the game, at least give us the best cars that company has to offer. They put in BMW but only give us the 325? wtf is that?

For online play, let us use garage cars. Not allowing them killed iLink play, imo. If we can't have voice chat during the race, at least allow voice chat before/after the race for the necessary trash talking. Include support for LAN play.

Bring back the ability to turn a normal car into a race-bodied car.

Bring back hp/tq curves, and power-restricted races.

I certainly wouldn't mind if the game would check your mem card when you first start it, and if you have a GT3 save with over 90% complete or so, it let you skip the license tests. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks