What's new

Grammy Awards will be in HDTV and DD 5.1 on CBS!!! (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone seen what the nominees are this year??? I swear they didn't learn a thing from the Milli Vanilli fiasco!
BTW I think the '86 Grammys were the first thing CBS broadcast in stereo. The Grammys are a joke though.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
LOL! Let's hope this award show will be better received than the other ones lately. Does trash in HDTV and DD5.1 look and sound any better?

John Eshleman

Auditioning
Houston will not be one of the markets broadcasting the Grammy Awards in DD 5.1. The local CBS station is not currently equipped, but according to a station engineer, they will be equipped later this year.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was going to skip the Grammies, but I'll check out at least an hour of it before switching over to watch Alias in HDTV, and maybe watch the last hour of the Grammies (or maybe Dragnet).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I still don't "get" Norah Jones's music, too slow for me, I suppose.

Faith Hill looked great, but sounded awful, and off key. I think her voice doesn't do "Cry" justice when she sings it live when she tries to hit some upper registers (the tank's empty).

No Doubt made HDTV look sort of funny during the heavy action movements.

Is John Mayer really 16 years old?

I didn't really understand much of what he was singing during his performance. But it was interesting to contrast his one-man performance with Vanessa Carlton's orchestra-backed performance (that song was fresh 6 months ago, but now, it just went on and on and on....) I did enjoy the duo of Yo-Yo Ma and James Taylor.

Even the commercials are coming through in DD 5.1 - hopefully this will mark the end of the blaringly loud commercials on CBS-HD.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm not all that crazy about the remake of Landslide by the Dixie Chicks.

What was with that posse with Eminem when he showed up to collect his Grammy?

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Wow, not a big fan of the grammys but it looks superb in HD and sounds great in 5.1. Very impressive presentation.

Hank_P

Second Unit
In my area is wasn't so good. The first two songs were 5.1, then they experienced some lip sync issues and BAM, they reset it to 2.0 stereo. The picture was fantastic, but the sound was moderate at best.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Out of Philly, the HD broadcast was fabulous! The DD5.1 audio was also terrific. This year's Grammys were very enjoyable. It almost didn't seem like an awards show; it seemed like a variety concert.

As far as awards go, I was hoping Bruce would win a bunch. Norah Jones' music is okay, but it doesn't strike me as anything innovative. Bruce, on the other hand, made the definite album for 2002 with heartfelt songs about 9/11.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
This is the first Grammy show I've seen in years that I thought was good. The HD really worked great here and I got a chance to discover some performers I had not heard before.
The ones I really liked were Coldplay doing "Politik" and of course Nora Jones. It's hard for me to beleive that jazz like Nora's can still seem fresh. I thought Faith Hill looked like Mariah Carey with that dress and "Cry" is not her best work and Aretha Franklin was going for the fairy godmother look. Vanessa Carlton didn't seem to mesh with the orchestra but live performances almost always disappoint when compared to the record.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was floored when Faith Hill won for best female vocals on "Cry". If you can't make it sound good singing it live, it makes you wonder how massaged it was during the studio recording of it.

The overall show seems subdued and with the exception of a few songs on display, it seemed somber too.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I didn't watch a lot of the show, and most of what I saw wasn't very good. Dustin Hoffman's opening was, well, pretty bad.

Patrick, I was wondering if anyone else thought Faith Hill was simply awful. She was consistently belting off key.

Springsteen's performance of "The Rising" was terrific, though. Definitely a high point.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As was the tribute to the Clash.

Now the tribute by NSynch to the Bee Gees was just ... bizarre. Barry Gibb said it best with "Unbelievable".

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Off-key? For real off-key look at Coldplay (or is it Couldn'tplay?). That was one of the most horrific live performances I have ever seen. That guy can't sing and can't play the piano either. They made the Philharmonic look bad!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I noticed quite a few people were off key. A few people had to repeat the beginning word of a line like Avril Lavigne did.

~T

Dan B

Screenwriter
The Clash tribute was great...I thought they _just_fucking_nailed London Calling. Even with all of the bad singing, how could anyone fail to notice Vanessa Carlton's intolerable whining?
P.S. My local CBS station, WSAW - Wausau Wisconsin, broadcasts in mono, I kid you not...so you guys can't complain as much as I can. :frowning:

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Dan: Totally agreed on the Clash tribute, that and the S&G opening were the highlights for me. I was flipping back and forth through the show but watched a fair bit due to the immaculate A/V presentation.

There is now news that the Springsteen concert on CBS (2/28) will be in HD too. What a treat!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I too enjoyed the Clash tribute and "Sounds of Silence" from Simon and Garfunkel, but didn't Paul Simon look like he had been dragged there against his will?

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks