What's new

Grammar (1 Viewer)

Scott_G

Second Unit
Wow.
We went from everyone at the top using two spaces to everyone later claiming one space.
I would agree that there is no "right" answer. You learn something new every day .... at the HTF :)

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
Count me as one more vote for one space instead of two. I, too, learned to type on a manual typewriter (as recently as 1986, would you believe?) and have had a very hard time breaking myself of the two-space habit. But exactly as others have said, without the typewriter's fixed-width fonts, there's no need for two spaces. One will do just fine. And believe me, it makes a huge difference if you're working with a manuscript longer than a chapter or two!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Totally weird! I took 3 typing classes, (typewriter, teletype and computer), and in every one of them we all learned 1 space.

I give up.

Glenn

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was taught to use 2 spaces in grade school/high school. I still use 2 space for posts on the forum, though I know it'll get condensed into 1 space. It formats the paragraphs in the way that is most familiar to me, and helps me work more efficiently. But with the "new age" punctuation, I guess we can throw this bit of edumacation out the window. :)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
On a related grammar note, how many spaces belong after a colon? I put 2 because that's what I remember being taught in elementary school, but it seems like a lot of people put 1 space after a colon.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Scott, just one space. It's the same with any punctuation, including punctuation within a sentence.

DennisHP

Second Unit
If your friend is a "Autocad Technologist", then I'm a "Network Conbobulationism Expert"
note that there is no period at all anywhere except
here -> .
Also note all the spaces after it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks