What's new

Grammar Issues: "Towards" and "In Regard" (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
What is the proper use of "towards"? when would you use "toward"?

How about "In regard to"? Does the phrase "In regards to (added "s") exist?

My guess is that you would pluralize these words if the subject is plural...am I right?

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Chuck C wrote (post #1):

No. Some of these forms are actually old genitives ("possessives") (e.g., nowadays?).

The comments at the provided link about "interchangeability" pretty much demonstrate that these "errors" are mostly just dialectal variations (which means an original "error" becomes current and widely used and acceptable in a subgroup or -groups of a given native-speaker community). Deciding which variant is "correct" is as often as not a matter of context-bound "social appropriateness".

By the way, where does your signature "Carpe dentum - seize the teeth" come from? The translation is wrong and the original Latin makes no sense. ('teeth' would be dentes.) On carpere, see post #90
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?&postid=2135099#post2135099 of the "Sayings or statements that don't make sense"-thread.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Chuck, with the greatest of respect, I'd attend to punctuation before worrying about 'towards' v 'toward' (the 'when' should have a capital letter).

However, to answer your question: 'towards' is far commoner in British English and accordingly is the correct form. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks