Grainy Picture

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarcF, Jul 6, 2002.

1. MarcF

MarcF Auditioning

Hello!
    I just got a Tantus 55 inch Tv and I hooked it up to a Toshiba 3750. I am using Acoustic Research master series component video cables.
    But when I run most dvds on the system in progressive scan, I notice that there is a certain graininess in the picture, especially in the darker areas in the picture.
    When I pause the video and run it frame by frame, one in every three frames in grainy, and the others are fine.

Is there something I didn't set up correctly? Is everything ok with my system and it's just the limitations of the DVD? In interlace, it doesn't seem to be a problem, but I would like to run it in progressive.
    Any help or answer would help, because it's quite annoying since I am a movie enthusiast and I was hoping for a good quality picture.

Thanks for your time!

2. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

I am not familiar with YOUR equipment, but I will start with the obvious questions...

Is this an HDTV, or an HDTV ready TV?

Then, you do know that you must somehow "tell" the DVD player you want progessive scan, and you must "tell" the television you want progessive scan. On some DVD players, this is a menu item, on others it is a button on the external part of the player. On most, if you screw up, you get NO picture, but I recall hearing this is not always the case.

If you are already aware of these things, and have checked, ignore this.

Thanks,

-bruce

3. MarcF

MarcF Auditioning

Thanks for answering.

I do have a switch on the DVD player and a button to switch between the two.
    You're right though, if they aren't set correctly, I get no picture. If they are, I get the grainy picture.