Graduation day! My first DIY sub is finally done (pics)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wes Nance, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Hey everybody,
    The sub I started in February, put together to enjoy, and then took back apart last week is finally done! I did the veneer last week, and got it in it's final form.
    I want to give a huge thanks to everybody on this forum that went out of there way to help- Jack, Hank, Brian, Pete, John J, Dan W, and anybody else I forgot.
    Please check out a very quick write up with some quick pictures:
    Stryke 12.3 sub
    Like the site says, it looks best from a listening distance, but this is the first thing I've ever built from wood, I don't have a table saw, and did it all by myself, some of it in the middle of winter. . .
    Just today I looked and part of the veneer circle on a PR was curling up at the edge. I'll have to get those down a bit more firmly.
    Thanks again, everybody! Next is a SCH center and bookshelf pair (I think I got the last pair before they ran out of tweeters!)
    Wes

2. looks pretty darn good to me!

I always thought that the laminated PR looks spiffy. I think Jack did the first one that I saw.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Good craftsmanship from pics, nice shape.

The contrast on those PRs really call out. That sub would be the first thing I'd probably notice if I walked into your room. Second would be the cool wooden train set.

4. dale_sk

dale_sk Auditioning

Nice one mate good work
    Well done [​IMG]
    DAZA

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Wes, you did yourself proud! Good job and it looks great. I hadn't seen veneered PR's before, and I like yours. Big roundover corners on your first project - I'd say you're a DIY subwoofer builder in good standing [​IMG]

6. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Very nice, specially for your 1st rig [​IMG]
    Veneered PR's - Love em!
    Roundover corners - I always find that pleasing to the eye
    Box proportions - nicely size
    What's after the SCH center and bookshelf's ? You know once you start, you can't stop............. [​IMG]

7. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys- I'm just really happy to actually have one project that's done! (sort of- I'll probably have to do a little more work to make sure the veneer stays down on the PR's)

Did a little Monsters Inc. watching tonight, and got a big kick out of the beginning when they cross the street with the huge giant monster guy- my clothes were flapping, and the sub was fine! I've got a much better room in this new house- all sealed up, so I get some room gain- the raw response curve is much better than the old house.

Again, thanks so much to all of you for getting me hooked on this stuff.

Chris, to answer your question, I need to get the SCH stuff built, and I have just enough maple veneer left over to do all three speakers to match the sub.

Also, I'm working on a simple 3 shelf flexy, but the all-thread will be covered with 2" brushed aluminum tubing, mounted on roller transfers instead of casters (thanks, Clay) and also matching speaker stands that will use 1" aluminum brushed tubing and MDF. All hardware was purchased from McMasters-Carr.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look.

Wes