What's new

Grado SR80 (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I just ordered a pair of these, anyone own them? How high should my expectations be set. I was looking at the SR 60's but after reading reviews I decided to bump up to the 80's. They will mainly be used for computer gaming.

Thanks,

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Jassen

Grado is one of the best headphone maker there is so I think they will be more than adequate for computer gaming. The only complaint I have heard from people who own them is about comfort if they are used for extended periods of time.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
While I'm quite happy with my Grado SR-60s, the SR-80s should offer a bit more bass. In regards to the issue of comfort, I've found that by simply expanding the headband a bit on mine, the level of comfort has increased dramatically.

For the price, Grados can't be touched.

Enjoy ! :)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Wayne is right, Grado rocks!

I have had my SR60 for about 8 years by now and they continue to impress. I have had no comfort issues (and I still have my stock pads....although they're now slightly discolored). I have listened to the SR80 and my impression is that they are slightly better than the SR80 overall. However, I read over at head-fi.org that the SR80 sounds best when used with a dedicated headphone amp whereas the SR60 will not benefit from the headphone amp.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
A little bit too upfront/harsh (treble), and the bass seems a bit too much for whatever material I was using. Headphone amp from a high quality stereo integrated amp.

But then I do have the RS-1's ;-) which sound better, and sort out the things I don't like about the SR-80's. (softer/more natural treble and cleaner [less] ploddy bass)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I used to own SR-80s. They are a good set of headphones. You should use them for music too, because in my experience they excel more for music than gaming. One thing, try to control the noise coming from your computer, since they are open headphones the details could be covered up by too much noise.

Future upgrades include flat pads and an amp for those.

I've since built an amp and upgraded to SR-325s.
My amp

You'll enjoy them.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the responses, is there a break in time like on speakers?
My order just shipped from onecall so I should see them next week. The older women that live below and above me should be alot happier, not having to listen to my games and movies.

thanks again

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Yep, there is a break-in period. Probably a week or so of normal use. Or you could leave them playing at moderate-loud volume for a couple days.

And regarding comfort: The stock pads that come with it are very dependant on your ears for optimum comfort. You'll know pretty quickly if you like them or not. As well, you can carefully bend out the headband to reduce the clamping force.

Some comfort mods you can do include:
-Glue on an HD-580 headband cushion.
-Replace ear pads with HD-414 pads(I use these with a hole cut in the center to improve the high-end. plus they are only a few bucks and very comfy. The sound is improved too), comfies($10 US, comfy, muffles the sound a bit though) or flats(expensive at $30 USD but apparently have the best sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks