Grado SR-60s or 80s.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Justin Ward, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I have narrowed my new headphone purchase down to 2 choices. A used set of SR-80s or new SR-60s. The new 60s cost slightly less.

I've read that the SR-80s have similar detail but better bass than the 60s. I have also read that the 80s don't sound the greatest unless driven by a headphone amp, which I really don't have any plans to buy.

So basically I am worried that the 80s won't sound good when used with my computer/reciever/portable CD or that the 60s will be bass shy.

Which would you pick?

2. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

I have the 80's and even though I do have a headphone amp, you don't really need one. When I auditioned both the 60's and the 80's they sounded very similar except for the slightly better bass with the 80's which was enough for me. Be careful, you won't want to listen to your loudspeakers as much after getting used to the Grado's!

Oh yeah, you may want to see if your dealer has some softer earpads, the grado's are pretty hard on the ears. Then, cut a hole in the softer earpads about the size of a quarter and the sound will be the same without the pain.