Grado SR-40

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Leber, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have an opinion of these headphones? I've read all the praise for the 60's and 80's, but nothing about these $40 cans.

I'm looking for walkman headphones for jogging and walking the dog.

2. Bill Leber

No one has heard of these? They are supposed to sound just like the 60's, but are made in China and are plastic.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Bill,
    I have been considering the SR40 as an upgrade for my Walkman/portable CD headphones. I don't have any local dealers that stock them (they all stock the SR60 on up). I heard all the parts in the SR40 are the same as the SR60, other than the plastic casing. Being an owner of the SR60 for the past 5 years, that's what got me interested in the SR40. Hopefully, an actual owner of the SR40 can give us an opinion on these cans.
    On a related note, you may want to check out headwize.com for discussions on headphones. Also I posted a thread on the Koss Porta-Pro headphones at 50% off on the Koss website. The Porta-Pro is one of the most praised Walkman-type headphones ever, you may want to check them out.

4. Bill Leber

Thanks Danny. That is a great deal on the Koss, but I'm not sure they'd make good jogging headphones. They look like they'd fall off my head!

5. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I have a pair of SR-325's for my music studio, not exactly in the same price-range or style, but Grado makes superb headphones across the board. I would recommend Grado's above any other headphone.

6. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I haven't heard anything about the SR-40s either, but I would like to know how they compare to the SR-60s as well.

7. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I recently bought some SR-80's after reading so much positive feedback about Grado headphones on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. On the plus side, detail is very good, and they have a nice sense of airiness/spaciousness. On the negative side, bass performance seems pretty weak to me. I use some discontinued Sennheiser HD-570's at work with a portable CD player, and they sound better, IMHO. Also, the Grado headphones are very unconfortable, primarily due to the fact that they rest on your ears rather than surrounding them. The first time I wore them my ears were hurting after 30 minutes. Maybe the comfort will improve somewhat with break-in, but they'll never be as comfortable as the Sennheisers, which I can wear for several hours at a time without any discomfort.

8. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

i got the denon ahd-950. very nice headphones, though i think they're about $125 from the internet. i almost got the sr-80, but after reading about so many people with the "grattle," i got the denons instead. they have better bass response than the sr-60, and i think they are a bit more detailed. it happened to a friend of mine. he didnt try the fix because it he didnt want to risk damaging them further. there is an entire faq iirc at headwize just for the grattle that is associated with the sr-60 and sr-80. you can fix it, but it requires you to open up your cans and pull the inverted driver back out. they may have fixed this issue since i looked at headphones, but just do your researching, and you'll be fine.

p.s. the grattle is a rattling caused by the 'driver' on the headphones when you played too much bass, drop them, etc. there will be a very annoying rattle when you listen to stuff at a moderate level.

p.p.s. cans are what people call their headphones in the world of headphones : )~

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

10. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator