What's new

Grabbed a brand new Parasound 1205A for $609! (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter

Greg,

I'm not the technical expert here and still haven't received my Parasound amp yet, but my feeling is that that would be a function of whatever you were using as your preamp. In other words, if you connect the amp to let's say a receiver and that receiver allowed you to do so, then you would still be able to. Again, I'm no technical whiz and could well be wrong, but this seems logical to me. Anyone feel free to comment please.

Steve Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Young
Was the earlier versions of the HCA-1205A THX certified and the newest version is THX Ultra certified? what would be the difference? I am thinking of buying this am, but it is an older model only THX certified. Not sure if it's worth $700.

Thanks
Steve

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Dana,
What I'm trying to figure out is if I hook up a SACD player using the 5.1 analog jacks into the Denon's 5.1 audio inputs and playback 2ch music will the sub be playing? This is where I get confused if I will have control of the sub. Hope that made sense.
Steve,
I never heard of an earlier 1205A that was just THX certified. Maybe it was labeled as a 1205 and the new version is labeled as 1205A. I know the 1205A has been out for awhile because I remembered seeing members selling theirs and stating that they have owened it for 2-3yrs. I would recommend checking out www.ubid.com because I know you could get one cheaper than $700 but Ubid doesn't deliver to Canada. I know ebay has a 1205A up for sale right now that ends in 5 days. Good luck with your search, and I hope somebody can let us know if there was 2 different models.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Greg,

Did you receive the amp today. If so give us a review once you've had a chance to listen to it.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Vlad,
I posted earlier today that I'm still waiting. UPS tracking shows that it was scheduled for delivery today but last status check was at 3:48am June 19th and it was leaving Memphis, TN to goto Balitmore, MD. It's 10:00pm now and I really don't think UPS delievers this late :) On the otherhand, believe it or not but I actually once got a package from FedEx at 11:50pm at night. This was around xmas time and so I went to check at the door wondering who would be knocking and sure enough Mr. FedEx man was there with my package. He apologized for the late arrival but he wanted to get all his packages delivered today. Now that's a man devoted to his work. I wonder if they get any extra incentive if they deliver all the packages or something?
I guess I'm going to have to shoot for tomorrow :frowning:

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
All good things come to those who can wait patiently. After it leaves Staunton, Va. the trip to Balt. is surprisingly quick. However, they will not deliver from Balt. most likely. I'm sure there is a Hub closer to you...which could add on more delivery time. Better count on Friday...unless they get it into and out of Baltimore in the wee hours.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Isn't it amazing how much you anticipate something you're waiting for. I've had rolls of film sitting around the house for months before I put them in to get developed and then waited impatiently for them to be processed in one hour. I ordered my 1205A to be shipped over night and they said it shipped today, so I should have it tomorrow. I've never, never owned a power amp before and now I can't even wait a day. I spent the day clearing off a spot for it, visiting home theater dealers (ever notice how you do more of that right after getting a new piece of equipment?), going online for more reviews of the unit, and, of course, visiting HTF and other like spots where I could be in communication with others of similar interests. And the hours seem to just tick by soooooooooooooooooooooooooo slowly.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Dana, my amp hit Baltimore, MD and is off to the Delaware hub. It now shows it has been rescheduled for June 20th. So I guess we should be receiving our amps the same day. It's really cool to see someone going through the same anticipation that I'm going through. Like you, this will be my first power amp and I will finally be able to power my Paradigm 60's the way that should be. I also kind of figuered that my Denon 3802 wanted a break so next in line comes Parasound :laugh:
Let me know when yours come in! Hope I beat ya :D

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
You should be prepared for disappointment. An amp upgrade tends to be fairly subtle and with all this anticipation there is no way even the best of the best amps could meet the hype, self-induced or not. I've gone through two upgrades myself (receiver->cheap amp->expensive amp) and although nice, the upgrades have not been dramatic.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Jah-Wren,

Good point about the anticipation overkill. But I seriously doubt Greg will be disappointed. He's starting from a 3802---very good receiver with honest power---but the 1205A will give him goosebumps once everything is set up and calibrated.

As you know, the first thing you notice, whether using tones or music, is the volume change to reach desired level. In Greg's case it should be fairly large. Using same source music he should also hear an audible increase in softer, more delicate passages...tighter and more refined bass...expansion in headroom giving sound which remains coherent, undistorted and powerful.

I will bet you dimes to doughnuts this is just what Greg experiences.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jah-Wren, it depends on where you are and where you are going. It also depends on the overall quality of your system (e.g., speakers). Back in February, I added an NAD C 270 stereo power amp to my NAD C 370 stereo integrated amp in my main system. The C 370 and C 270 share the same amp section, so it's not like I went from the C 370 to a $5000 tube integrated amp. Still, the difference upon adding the power amp was not subtle. Everything was better. Now, I biamped, as opposing to replacing one integrated amp with another. However, the improvment was more significant than I expected. I'm sure Greg will be plenty impressed with the Parasound power amp in comparison to his '3802.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Just imagine how I feel. I have an Onkyo 696 and I'm not putting it down, but I was never quite satisfied as I have been in the past with other Onkyo receivers. I occasionally like to listen to music very loud and the Onkyo just never pushed out the power to my satisfaction. For others who don't push the sound level envelope as intensely as I do, the Onkyo might just be what the doctor ordered.
Today, I received my 1250A. My first separate. After setting it up and doing my initial callibration, I listened to a CD which I am very familiar with - the second disc of the Beatles White Album. Of course, there was the initial awareness of more power, but it extended way beyond that. My observations, albeit subjective, were definitely there, but are too numerous to mention or even remember in this one post. What impressed me most was the quietness - yes quietness. What I mean by this is that there was a silence between voices and instruments that wasn't there before. There were more dramatic and dynamic shifts between soft and louder sounds. The soundstage was significantly deeper and each instrument had a definition, detail, presence, and clarity that just wasn't there before. I was listening in two channel stereo. One more thing, I have Klipsch Reference speakers. I never particularly thought of my Onkyo as bright sounding, but the sound through the Parasound was much warmer. These are my initial impressions after less than a 45 minutes worth of listening. Now, I just bought me a copy of Black Hawk Down (which I never saw in theatrical release). That will be a good way to test out the 5.1 performance of the speakers. I plan to play it loud enough for my neighbors to feel they're watching the DVD themselves.
Greg, did you get your amp today? Let us all know what you think. ;)

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Ken,
I'm looking to purchase a Parasound 1205 for my paradigm studio 40/20/CC speakers and travel through your area often. I would be interested in knowing where you purchased it for that price and who you spoke to. Thanks for your assistance! You can contact me at [email protected]
Ed

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Greg, I'm dying here! Did you get the amp, and if so, what do you think of it?
Dana, how did Black Hawk Down sound on your system? Did the neighbors complain? :D I haven't had a chance to test all 5 channels of my amp with a movie yet (so far only CD's in DPL II mode).

DanaA

Screenwriter
Good morning Vlad D,

Black Hawk Down sounded sensational! The voices through my center channel were crystal clear and special effects were flying about the room. It might just be the DVD itself though - it won the Academy Award for sound. As I never played the DVD on my old system, I just don't know. I'm thinking of going out to rent Lagaan again as I just played that the other day on my old setup. All I know is that there is definitely a very significant difference between the old and the new. The amazing thing is that even my wife notices a big improvement and she's as non-discriminating a listener as there is.

Can't wait to hear your impressions after you watch your first movie.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Dana,
Glad to see you're enjoying the amp. I can only imagine what Black Hawk Down sounded like. I think I'll run out and buy it for my amps 5 channel debut. :D
The amazing thing is that even my wife notices a big improvement and she's as non-discriminating a listener as there is.
I can relate, my wife also noticed a difference.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I thought Black Hawk Down was a terrible movie. 45 minutes into the movie I was already sick of listening to gunshots flying around in my room.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I think it must have come today. After all this anticipation, Greg is nowhere to be found and that can only mean one thing to an HTF member...upgradeitis has moved on to setupitis.:D I personally know of no cure.

Users who are viewing this thread