Grabbed a brand new Parasound 1205A for $609!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Haynes, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I am so excited that I got this amp for what I hope is a pretty good price. I originally had my heart set on a Acurus A200x3, but after reading Obi's review and saying that he believes the Acurus would provide a dryness sound to my Paradigms Studio 60's I then started looking at Parasound's. So I went to Audigon, Ebay, AudioAdvisor and all the prices that I saw were out of budget. So I went to Ubid after I hear some people can get really good deals over there. I have never bought anything from them and found out that their an Authorized Parasound dealer. I started looking for 1205's and just my luck they had 3 brand new 1205A ending in 3hrs. Long story short I ended up winning the auction and got a 1205A for only $609 which is considerably cheaper than anywhere I have seen. Has anyone else found the 1205A in this price range before? I always hear some horror stories about people buying stuff from Ubid which has kept me away from them but this unit is marked brand new so I am hoping that nothing can be wrong with it.
    I will be hooking this amp up to my Denon 3802 and I was looking to biamp my Paradigms 60's but the problem is that I already spent pretty good money on Bettercables Bi-Wire speaker wire for my 60's and CC. So if I wanted to biamp my 60's I would have to sell my biwire cables and by 2 new speaker cables. I decided not to biamp my 60's for the time being and to just power my fronts, center, and sides and leave the 3802 to power the rears.
    I don't think I would tell that much of difference by not biamping the mains. I know everybody says theres only 3db difference by doubling the power, so I might try biamping just to see if I can hear the difference. But for now 140x5 is plenty of power for me.
    Interconnects...I had a tough time deciding on what cables to buy and after looking around everywhere I decided on the Outlaw PCA's 1.8m. I haven't heard too much about these cables but the times I do read about them it has always been very positive.
    I'll write a review once I get my amp and cables. This is my first attempt to going to separates. It seems like alot of people are switching these last couple of months. It's because of this forum that I went out looking for the 1205A. Especially Obi's and most recently Ron-P's Adcom reviews and praise's that made me look for more power [​IMG]
    So how did I do? [​IMG]

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

oh, so you are the GH at UBID that kept outbidding me [​IMG]
    My local dealer will sell me the Parasound 1205 for $750 so at $589 I stopped bidding because when you add on the $60 shipping Ubid charges I might as well buy it from my local AV store so I won't have to wait for it to be delivered and deal with it if it is damaged in the shipping.

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Greg,
    Don't worry. The 1205 will come double boxed with Parasound sealing tape. Very well packaged with excellent foam top and bottom with plenty of cushion all around for 'unintended insertion' protection.
    You bum...I too was looking at that auction. Just got an 855A for $361 delivered from Ubid with no problems two weeks ago but, you know, there is no such thing as too much power. [​IMG] You did great.

4. Greg Haynes

Sorry Ken, I wish we could of both won the 1205A. But it is funny that were are both members here. Small world I guess [​IMG] I remember seeing your intials over at UBID and realized how close you live to me.
    The only thing I hate about UBID is their crazy price shipping. I just hope I get the unit this week so that I can test it out. I have off this Friday so I can't wait!!!

5. Greg Haynes

Paul,

How long did you take for you to get your amp from Ubid? I'm trying to figure out if I going to get it before Friday since I'm off I would love for it to come in on that day. I won the auction on Saturday and right now the status is showing Sent to Warehouse.

6. James Tg

James Tg Stunt Coordinator

It is about one week.

James

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, congratulations on your purchase. I'd like a demo! [​IMG]
    By the way, I didn't know that UBid was an authorized dealer for any brands. You learn something new every day. [​IMG]

8. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Yes, a week sounds about right.
    They ship from Memphis in the northeast and one of my amps shipped on 5/20 and was delivered on the 5/22 to PA. DE is even a bit closer then I am. [​IMG]
    You will like the Parasound. It fits the Paradigm Studio series very well. Good luck and good buy. LOL....
    Charles

9. Paul Clarke

Greg,

I agree with everyone else on the timing. It varies of course but mine got here lickety split after clearing the processing. Ubid can be very slow in updating your 'My Page' info sometimes. They can also be slow about providing the tracking # after showing it as shipped. But UPS from Tennessee to Md does not take long at all for my orders. The quickest I ever got anything was two days...the longest one week. Friday looks about right for you. If not, see if you can pick it up at UPS near you on Saturday.

10. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Anyone compare this to the Marantz MM9000? The prices are very very similar (the MM9000 is $749). The MM9000 has 150 watts/channel at 8 ohm, 5 channels. THX ultra certified. Seems like they'd be pretty natural competitors.

11. Greg Haynes

I'm glad to hear that I should have a pretty good chance on getting my amp by this week. I am really getting excited. I haven't been this excited since getting my Denon 3802. Man, this addiction doesn't stop :b
    Keith, I would love for you to come over. I actually would love to check out all your new gear, especially your SCD-C555ES. Now with this new amp I am tempting the possibility of getting the Sony SCD-C222ES. Especially after hearing I can pick it up at Oade Bros. for $320 shipped. Which is a steal in my opinion. I would love to get the 555ES, but I think I would be happy with the 222ES for now. Keith, do you know if the 222ES is going to be replaced anytime soon? I wouldn't be looking to buy the 222ES until mid to end of July. I know with the new Parasound amp and SACD my Paradigms 60's would be SINGING [​IMG]
    Thanks Paul, I didn't realize that you got your amp so quickly. How do you like it so far?
    Gabriel,
    I was actually looking at the Marantz MM9000 a couple of months ago. AC4L.com had a refurb for $600 and I almost jumped on it. I haven't heard too much on the Marantz, but the Parasounds seem like the best amp matched with Paradigm's. I know there is some MM9000's owners in here so maybe they can chime in and tell us how the feel.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, thanks. I am definitely interested in hearing your new set-up. As for SACD, I have heard nothing official about the current SACD players being replaced, but whenever the prices drop, something is up. Sony did not announce the release of any new audio-only SACD players at the Home Entertainment show in New York in May. They only announced a couple integrated SACD player/home-theater receivers. Anyway, I am guessing that the 'C222ES will be available for awhile.
    The 'C222ES is an excellent value at $320. I had one in my second system back in April for about a week. However, the carousel drawer started acting up after a couple days. As a result, I exchanged it for a 'C555ES. Yes, I have two 'C555ES changers now. [​IMG] Don't get me wrong. The 'C222ES is a quality player. I just got a dud.
    The best price I had heard for the 'C222ES before reading your post was $380 through J&R Music World. I bought mine through J&R. Anyway, I wonder what Oade Bros. is selling the 'C555ES for.

13. Paul Clarke

14. Greg Haynes

Keith, I have always been wanting to join the SACD crowd especially with reading how much you love SACD and how devoted you are to supporting it. I just been waiting for the software library to start bulking up. I am now seeing alot of titles that I would consider buying so I think the 'C222ES would be the perfect buy right now for me.

I just have a question with the bass management. I always hear alot of negative feedback concerning issues with SACD players with their bass management. What is the exact issue with the problem? Is it that it treats all speakers like their set to LARGE? Is there no xover function to send bass to the sub? If so, then I can see why the Outlaw ICBM can come in handy.

What settings do you have your 'C555ES's set to? Sorry for all the questions I just know your very knowledgable when it comes to SACD players I want to ask you first before I start researching. Thank you for your time.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, given my preference for stereo and the fact that my A/V receiver has been in the shop for 17 days ([​IMG]), let's see if I can remember the bass-management thing with SACD. [​IMG] Sony's SACD players offer you a variety of options for speaker configuration, but not every one that you might consider reasonable. However, the big issue for many people is that the Sony players do not allow you to dial in the crossover frequency. This is why many people use the Outlaw ICBM with their multi-channel SACD (and DVD-Audio) players.
    I have my 'C555ES set to multi-channel direct mode, which does not alter the signals in any way. It works well for me, though my surround-sound set-up is decidedly mid-fi. [​IMG]

16. BrianDD

BrianDD Agent

It looks like the secret of Ubid is getting out. I wonder if we are going to be able to keep getting these great deals after all of us home theater junkies start flocking to it. If only that shipping wasn't so high...

17. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Yes, it seems that the prices are starting to creep up a little bit. Nonetheless, these prices would have to rise quite a bit before shifting away from "super bargain" status.

18. Greg Haynes

Thanks Keith with the explanation, you've been a great help [​IMG] I'll probably just listening to 2ch, but want to check out the hype with multichannel. Am I able to still engage my sub for 2ch?
    BrianDD,
    Now is the time to buy! These deals will definitely not last. I do agree that UBID charges insane shipping though. It seems like that's where they make all their money.

19. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

With regard to the dryness of the Acurus 200x3. I agree,
    I owned the amp. I used it with an Angstrom (older high
    end processor) and found a Denon POA-2800 amp (same wattage)
    to be far more lively.

20. Greg Haynes