Grab a DVD Player now or wait?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Atho, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Atho

Atho Agent

Hey all, after reading the recent post about the new universal Pioneer DVD Player, I have a question. I'm getting a Toshiba 16X9 Tv in the next few weeks, and obviously I'm goanna grab a prog. scan DVD player.

Should I grab the Panny rp-56 for bout 400 bones (canadian) or wait till I see the new Pioneer's. Price sholdn't be a problem but hopefully I don't need to dish out over 1000 bucks for it.

Thanks

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Why don't you see how your interlaced player looks first? Maybe it will be easy to wait for a more universal player if that's what you really want.

3. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Tough call Atho. The rp-56 is on at Future Shop for $350CAN with no haggling, just so you know. You've got 30 days with them and probably most B&M stores for exxhange or refund.
    Good luck.
    Steve

4. Daniel C

Daniel C Auditioning

Atho, if you are in Toronto (I suppose you are from your profile), you can try the 'Eastview Electronics' either in the 'Jubilee Center' (HWY 7 and West Beaver Creek?) or on Kenedy south of Stelles (in a small plaza on the East side). They have the Penny RP56 for CAD$350.00 including tax.

5. Atho

Atho Agent

Hey Phillip, I don't own a DVD player at the moment, so check out how it looks is obviously impossible, haha
    And Daniel, Eastview is a 5 minute walk from my house (Birchmount and Steels) [​IMG]
    But that doesn't answer the main question of if I should grab the player now...or wait for universal ones.....thanks!

6. Daniel C

Daniel C Auditioning

Atho, it is same as buying anything (except for tape recorder which is at the end of the road to deserve any more new product), when you see a new model, there is always bound to be yet another that is better so the waiting game can go forever....going back to your question, my cut at it is that you just can go wrong with a progressive player for less than CAD$400.00 My experience... I have a Toshiba 16X9 and just upgraded to a progressive play in the past Christmas (I pick JVC which is a personal choice) and I am glad I did that [​IMG]

7. Daniel C

Daniel C Auditioning

Atho, spelling mistake, I mean you can't go wrong with it!

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

9. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Atho,

I had been warned that the Pioneer universal player was coming out and considered waiting too. I bought the Pan 91, and just a few days ago got my Stereophile rag in the mail with a picture of the new Pioneer unit on the cover. I thought, oh, damn, I just got ripped offf.

Then I read the review

That bad boy will set you back over $5000!!!!

BIG OUCH!

And the SACD performance wasn't rated that great anyway. At this point in the came it's cheaper to buy both a DVD-A and a SACD.

Or you could always wait a few years and buy a universal player with digital outs that will kill the ones out now for less than $500.

Opps, my crystal ball is clouding up...