1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

GR Research's next step!! WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martice, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

For you guys who are wondering what the replacement speaker for the Paradox 1 that used to be offered by GR Research. Well here's a link to an early picture released on Audio Asylum.
    It employs a ribbon tweeter and the name of the speaker is "CRITERION"
    Enjoy
    CRITERION SPEAKER

2. Dave_P

Dave_P Stunt Coordinator

Well, I have been saving up for a pair of AV-1's, but it looks like I will have to wait until reviews and opinions go out about these little babies. They look sweet, though that prototype is obviously not a cabinet Danny would have these in as a final product. I wonder about the off axis response from these tweeters. I've heard that tweeter ribbons aren't the best for off axis listening.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dave,
    I heard that very pair a few weeks ago and they certainly best the A/V-1's. They are definitely more expensive than the A/V-1's though. I'm not exactly sure why you'd be overly concerned about off axis listening. I usually try to sit between a pair of speakers when listening. [​IMG]
    Brian

4. Dave_P

Dave_P Stunt Coordinator

My only concerm about off axis response would be that a lot of times I put music on when I'm around my place cleaning, showering, and the like. I would want to hear everything when I'm not sitting in the sweet spot. However, I feel that Danny knows what he is doing. He is obviously a very capable speaker designer as his speakers continue to impress. Brian, btw, when the time comes, I will be contacting you about some cabinets for my speakers. Your work looks fantastic over at HD.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    When 3 of us did an audition of the P1s, we walked around the room to hear how it did from various spots and off axis. Of course, they aren't using ribbon tweeters. While they were a little picky about placement, they didn't seem to have off axis issues to me. If Danny says this speaker is better, I'm very interested.
    IMO, if you are off doing something else, and not doing critical listening, then off-axis response shouldn't matter at all. [​IMG] I do the same thing, and as long as I can hear it, I am happy.

6. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I heard these a few weeks ago at the Austin HT Forum meet. I was swept away by these! They have one of the most natural mid/high ranges I've ever heard and a full-bodied mid-bass which makes you wonder why people even bother with subwoofers.

I think Danny has another winner on his hands here.

-Mike...

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dave,
    Thanks for the compliment! I really appreciate it!
    Mike,
    I still remember the look on your face when you were listening to them! [​IMG]
    Brian

8. mike_decock

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Nice!
    Brian,
    How is the driver alignment on this one? Does Danny have a Criterion+ with an MTM design? What's the impedance? Did he say?

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

I know that Danny has an MTM design in the works. It would have to also be a 4 ohm speaker (just like the A/V-1+) seeing that it still uses the same 5.25" drivers that the A/V line uses.

Brian

11. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

How efficient are they? and can they play loud? 100db-ish is what I'm looking for. they might replace a paradigm reference setup so HT and music. And any idea on cost? A lot of questions but Danny's work has always had my attention[​IMG] I may just have to sell my sub to buy a set.

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Shawn,
    IIRC, Danny said the kits would be $590/pair. Those ribbon tweets aren't cheap! [​IMG]
    Brian

13. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

How do ribbons sound with SS gear? Is it generally preferred to use ribbon tweeters with tube gear?

14. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

And I just finished my A/V1+s last night too! At least they cost a lot more so I can't complain at all.

15. mike_decock

16. mike_decock

17. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Mike,

We're building a pair for a customer in FL so I can tell you what the dimensions are. I'm not sure about the P1 cabinets' dimensions are though. The Criterion cabinets are 12"H x 8"W x 11.75"D.

Brian

18. mike_decock