GR-Research

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Yousaf, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

I know this may not be appropriate for this forum, but I really need an answer. I think the tweeters on my A/V-1s may be screwed up, and I think I might need new ones. I would like to talk to Danny about this, but the GR-Research site is down. Does anyone have the phone number to the site?

Thanks.

Mods - If you find this thread inappropriate, do you think you could still leave it open for a few hours before closing it?

2. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Try the GR-Research forum at audiocircle.com. Danny Ritchie hangs out there and will be able to help you out.

3. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

The site isn't down, I just went there 15 seconds ago. Here is his number anyway:
    940-592-3400

4. Danny Richie

Danny Richie Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, the site was down for a short time today.

I will be glad to test your tweeters for you if you like, but it is hard to believe that both could be screwed up. It is possible that they may have been damaged.

As I am sure you noticed when you received them that each tweeter is tested, a response curve is taken for each tweeter (as you can see on each box), and they are hand matched.

Is this a kit that you have assembled? Were they fine at first and bad now, or bad from the get go? It might be a wiring problem. It is a series network, so if anything in any part of the network is not correct it can effect the whole thing.

Sorry, I was also out most of the day today. I was in Dallas picking up a shipment of new M-130/16 woofers.

I will be in all day tomorrow (the 11th) if you would like to call.

Whatever it is, I will take care of it for you.

5. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

Danny:

I'll call you tomorrow then!

Basically, both tweeters aren't bad. When building my speakers a while ago, I accidentally leaned on a tweeter (onto the dome) and later on pushed the dome in yet again. I'm thinking that may be the problem because I only get the crackling coming out of one of the tweeters. I sure hope it's not the network because I can't get back into the speaker to rework it...the components are glued down and my soldering skills aren't the greatest. I think I could better explain this while talking to you, so I'm going to stop now and pick up later today [​IMG]

6. Danny Richie

Danny Richie Stunt Coordinator

Hi Yousaf,

Sometimes a small dent can be worked back out with no ill effects, but if the voice coil former is deformed it will cause it to be mis-aligned or even drag. This would give you the odd sounds.

It is doubtful that there will ever be a problem with the network components.