What's new

GR Research vs. VMPS (1 Viewer)

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I am considering buying either the VMPS QSO626 Ribbon or the GR Research Diluceo monitors both in kit form w/finished cabinets. I have a couple questions, first, which of these two speakers do any of you feel is the better value? Based solely on quality of components. Next, I will be using these speakers for probably about 75-80 percent home theater, I have auditioned the QSO 626 ribbons already(as far as I know, I have no way to audition the GR's), and I was very impressed, I am curious as to how you guys feel the GR's would do for a mostly HT environment? Also, because these are going to be used for mostly HT, do any of you feel that I would be better served by the GR A/V-2 opposed to the Diluceo, or the VMPS 626 instead of the 626 Ribbon, based on performance vs cost? These would be the first speakers that I have ever built and it sounds like something I would like to try, thanks for any input any of you may have, also feel free to suggest any alternatives.

george king

Supporting Actor
Chris,

You can demo the Diluceo's. Call Danny at GR Research, there are several pairs of his different speakers touring the country. Get on the list, and you get them for a week. He can give you the details.

As to your other question. Do you have a sub? If you do, then the AV-2s would be a fine choice (I have the AV-1s and love them - if you go this route, get the Sonicap upgrade). On the other hand, if you do not have a sub, then get the AV-3s. Danny loves them, and for most cases, you might not need a sub.

Hope this helps.

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, I did a more in-depth search on the GR's and read of people getting demo's by mail, that's pretty damn good customer service IMO. When I am ready I am definatly going to have to audition them. I should have been more specific about my intentions, I plan on buying a whole new 5.1 set-up. I am pretty much dead set on the SVS PB2-ISD for the Sub. From GR I am considering 3 A/V-2's for the fronts and 2 A/V-1's for the rears, or 3 Diluceo's and 2 Criterions instead. From VMPS I am considering 2 626's and a LRC for the fronts and probably either 2 dipole surrounds or qso404's for the rear, or for the front L/R channels I am considering upgrading to 626 ribbons instead. I roughly priced out the GR's, 3 A/V-2 kits(one shielded for the center) and 2 A/V-1 kits all with sonicaps, blackhole 5, and cherry veneer enclosures will cost me around $2000, the same set-up with Diluceo's and Criterion's will cost around a $1000 more, as near as I can figure anyways. No matter what I get from VMPS, it's going to cost more than if I go with GR. In your opinion, for what basically is going amount to a 80% HT set-up, do you feel that a $1000 upgrade to Diluceo's and Criterions(or even more for VMPS) would be money well spent? Also, for someone who has never built a speaker before, does anyone feel that I am biting off more than I can chew? I do know how to read schematics and wiring diagrams, and I can solder as well, but is it really this simple to assemble a speaker kit?

george king

Supporting Actor
Chris

Do not worry about building them. If I can do it, trust me anyone can. As to the difference. You should probably ask Danny, but my understanding is the Diluceos are more music oriented, while the AV series is slightly more HT oriented. However, I find the AV-1s to be amazingly musical, and these days, I listen to more music than I watch movies.

Hope this helps.

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you very much george, I am really leaning towards the A/V's. From what I've read I don't think I could do much better for the price, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks