GR Research Duliceo Review

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by george king, Oct 6, 2003.

1. george king

george king Supporting Actor

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    LOL "Black & Tan". I like that, just like my A/V-2s. [​IMG]

Danny offered to send me a pair to demo, but I told him if he did, I would never be happy again, unless I bought a pair so DON'T send them to me!!

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Ah John, bet you'd still go on loving those AV/2's just as George loves his AV/1's. Yet, can't help but feel a tinge of curiosity as to how they'd sound in my room. Thanks for the post George. Was surprised that 80% are sold in kit form. Does that mean that a simpleton like myself would be capable of putting one together. I've heard all sorts of things about kits, ranging from relatively simple jobs to a real chore. I'd imagine that if you got them in kit form, you could also customize them to an extent by upgrading certain parts.

4. george king

Dana,

Believe me, if I can do it you can. The term kit is a slight misnomer in some respects. Danny redid the pages not long ago. The "kits" come in various forms.

the true kit. Gets you parts and plans to build the cabs, which you have to do.

The partial kit - gets you parts and prebuilt cabs, which can be unfinished MDF (which is what I did) or finished, with a nice wood veneer. Just assemble the crossover, and screw in the drivers, and you are good to go.

Not really a kit - pre-built crossovers, finished cabs, and parts. Just solder the woofs/tweets to the crossover, screw in the drivers, and you are good to go.

You know, you said you had a minor twinge to see how they would sound in your room. I have the same twinge about the ACIs. I came so close to getting them.

On the other hand, I am seriously consdering building the new AV-3 towers to round out the set. My wife is going to kill me.

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

After hearing ACI's for the first time (Panoramas), and looks like I am going to get a pair of Sapphires to audition(and for others to audition as well), I also have an "itch" to listen to some GR's. Also would like to try some of Brian Bunge's creations.

This is a bad, bad, hobby!

6. John Garcia

John
    With a pre-built cabinet, I think these would be exceedingly easy to build. I took one apart this weekend to see what all is in there, because my Sonicap upgrade arrived. Pretty simple assembly.

You are saving about $50 buying the pre-assembled "not really a kit" and just putting them together yourself, so that is a toss-up. If you've never soldered, I'd recommend pre-assembled x-overs, but other than that, I'd say just about anyone who can work a screwdriver could put these together.

My actual pair BTW (do they look familiar?) [​IMG] :
    [​IMG]

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

They look slightly familiar. [​IMG]

8. John Garcia

John
    [​IMG]

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I'm really crossing my fingers that you like the Sapphires, Curtis. I too have had the itch to hear the GR Research speakers and quite a few others. Hopefully, when I hit L.A. next summer, you'll invite me over for a listen to the Ascends. I'll bring the beer. [​IMG]

10. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Keith,

I am afraid of liking the Sapphires. I do not want, to want, to spend more money [​IMG]. You probably do not need to cross your fingers. I like my modest setup a lot right now, but curiosity is getting the best of me, even if I am not on a quest for better sound. Everything I have right now is about great sound at a budget. ACI and GR-Research would be a significant jump in budget for me.

These companies have such great reputations, and communicating with them has been a great experience, just hard not to want to try their stuff. I have not gotten in touch with anyone at GR Research, but I have been communicating with Brian Bunge, and that has been great. Emailing with Mike Dzurko has been a pleasure as well. All the same type of communcation I have become to acustomed to from Ascend Acoustics as well.

Like I wrote before....this hobby is one that can be very addicting...and expensive.

Ofcourse you are welcome here! Looking forward to it.

11. george king

Curtis,

I know I am being bad here, but contact Danny, as there are several pairs of the different speakers floating around the country for in house demo.

Depending on the model, it is not "that" expensive. I built the A/V-1s. Bought some great unfinished cabs from Brian (there is a true craftsman, in the finest sense of the word). Bought the kit, Sonicaps upgrade (a must), and some black hole 5. Then I just primered the cabs, painted them with a black textured paint, and then with a high gloss black paint. They look pretty good (no where near as nice as Brian's work, but nice none the less). The whole thing cost maybe $450-500. And they sound great to boot.

12. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Ya see???

You guys are bad influences! [​IMG]

13. george king

Curtis,

Yep, me bad.

14. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Those veneer wraps seem pretty popular, but I'm a fan of cabinets with solid wood edges. I really like how two pairs of speakers turned out that had 1/4" thick solid wood strips on the edges.

I felt a bit different knowing that 80% of ppl buy their speakers from GR in kit form... then lets say 19% others buy pre-fabricated. I must be the 1% that bought it in bare parts. [​IMG]

Oh, and why would you upgrade the parts in the Diluceo kit when it uses Mills and Sonicaps? I noticed an easily noticeably difference when switching between a sonicapped AV3 and a Solen equipped pair. Sonicaps owned Solen/Audiocaps or whatever was in them.

As for the Diluceo reviews. They've actually been turning me slightly off into building a pair which is why I'll be working on a pair of Thors (seas excel) for my friend's next speaker. Can't wait to hear the Thors when they are finished. It'd be very interesting to hear a comparison between the Thors and Diluceos if it's a possibility at the next basslist meet.

15. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Chris,

Which model did you build? You are not too far from me...hint, hint. [​IMG]

16. george king

Chris,

What exactly in the reviews of the Diluceo are turning you away from considering the kit?

Thanks

17. Chris Tsutsui

I've made quite a few AV1+, a couple AV-1s (One ceiling mounted) and two pairs of AV3s as far as GR-Research speakers goes.

A finished pair of cabinets would be about $500 if you wanted a local builder to make them for you.

I of course won't make the cabinets, but I can point you to a local contractor who can get you an estimate if you drop me an email. He doesn't care for veneer wraps, but loves lock miters and solid wood edges.

Well, i've heard some reviews from other forums, and I've done some searches to hear feedback. The consensus is that they get grades such as the a 90/100 just like the review posted here gives.

Wouldn't you rather hear reviews that give a speaker 10/10 on everything except a 9/10 on bass extension. (Review given to Thors by AudioXpress)

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Chris,

Yes, the veneer wrap seemed to become very popular after I started doing it. Danny even designed the magnetic grills to fit properly after seeing my A/V-1's with rounded vertical edges. I'm not overly fond of solid wood corners because it reminds me of those POS cabinets that madisound sells.

I don't think anyone was talking about upgrading parts on the Diluceo's were they? John mentioned upgrading the parts in his A/V-2's.

19. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I am more interested in hearing them.

20. Chris Tsutsui

Ok.

I thought he wanted to upgrade the Diluceo's XO. He could probably upgrade the AV2 XO probably with Mills Resistors and Sonicaps.

I've also now used the Jantzen Foil Caps, which appear to "look" higher quality than the Alpha-Core. They also have this nice hard wood plug in the middle which glues down easily to boards. Havn't compared the sound of the inductors yet though. [​IMG]