What's new

GR Research AV1 or Axiom M3Ti? (1 Viewer)

ChaseHanna

Stunt Coordinator
Now on my quest for speakers I am debating DIY. For those of you who have heard these speakers, let me know what you think. They will be paired with a Denon 3802 by the way. Thanks

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
The AV1's are very impressive for their size. Their ability to image/soundstage is great and they put out good bass for a bookshelf speaker. They are very detailed and smooth. I built the larger box size that yields a F3 of 60HZ. The kit comes with everything you need except the wood, damping, and fill. The crossover parts are very high quality. Simply amazing for the price.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I was there with John at the time. They were my AV1's. I would rank the Axioms slightly better than the Paradigm mini's. The GR's blow both away in depth, soundstage, and imaging. They are less sensitive though so you'll have to turn it up louder to achieve the save levels. And you definitely need a good sub with the GR's to reproduce the lowest octaves.

Martice

Screenwriter
I have the AV1+'s. I had a pair of PSB Goldi's that I really liked running full range but preffered the AV1+ in the midrange and high frequencies. I have a very capable sub that fills up the bottom end quite nicely.
I wrote a review on my findings below:
REVIEW
I hope you find it helpful.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, I agree with Jeff, the AV1s and the M3Ti are not really in the same league in terms of performance. The AV1 is a very impressive speaker.
(Talk to Brian about cabinets...:D )

ChaseHanna

Stunt Coordinator
Im a little concerned that the AV1's with the Denon receiver may be too warm. I like clear highs, lots of treble. Would the Axioms pair up better with the Denon to produce this? Or should I not be concerned about the AV1's being too mellow?

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Chase. Since you live in Texas, you might want to look up Danny of GR Research to get a listen to the AV1's. If you don't know his web site it's GR Research . Good Luck

ChaseHanna

Stunt Coordinator
I had actually thought of that and looked up exactly where Iowa Park, Tx is on yahoo maps and from here its a little over 9 hours drive time. So, I basically have ruled that out. To bad he couldnt be located in Houston.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, I had the same idea when I was visiting in Houston and even Austin. Still a pretty long drive from Austin. I really don't think there will be a problem with the AV1s and Denon, as I find Denon a bit more crisp than Marantz and they sounded very good with my 6200 (which I chose over a Denon 3802 for music).

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Chase,
You should perhaps look under Local Home Theater Meets and the newest Austin thread. Danny has attended our last three meets and will again be at the one tommorrow. At one he set up his AV-1's and Paradox 1's and the last one he had his Alpha Line Source Towers, however tommorrow we do not expect him to have any equipment in tow. I believe he is just coming to meet a cabinet maker who he has work connections with form Rutledge Audio in Georgia. Personally, I have yet to be overly impressed by his speakers, but he is a really nice guy and I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Oh by the way we will also be having the first public appearance of Mirus Audio speakers at the meet and be doing a shootout of about seven or so processors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks