GR-Research AV1 cabinets plan

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by HungLe, Oct 10, 2003.

1. HungLe

HungLe Agent

Hi,

My initial plan to build budget speakers system for my computer/room use has changed due me getting a job. This means I will be having more money for my budget so I was considering building the AV1. My skills with woodworking is still limited so I will be ordering the baffles from GR-Research. My plan is to attempt to make the rest of the box and see how well it fits (I have problems with cutting straight) before ordering anything. The people from gr-research seems to be busy with some special event so I thought I would post here and see if anyone could send me the cabinets plan for the AV1. My email is [email protected]

Thanks.

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

ygm

I have these, you are going to love them, just make sure that you order the kit with the Sonicaps upgrade, it is well worth it.

3. CarlDais

CarlDais Stunt Coordinator

you might want to look into having one of the resident Cabinet makers sell you some of their pre-made cabinets.
    Such as Dan Wesnor and another guy who is usually on the Madisound boards DIYboxes.

I agree the AV-1 is a helluva nice speaker.
    You nade a good choice in terms of price
    & performance.

4. george king

If you are going to buy premade cabinets, contact Brian Bunge at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com He is one of the "offical" cab builders for GR Research and he does really stellar work. I bought unifinished cabs, and did the rest myself. In fact I bought my cabs from him, so give him a call. It will add somewhat to the cost, but they are built like a tank.

Hope this helps.

5. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Here are the dimensions:
    12"h x 8"w x 11.625"d

Here is the cut list using 3/4" mdf:
    1- 8 x 12 rear panel
    2- 8 x 10.125 top and bottom
    2- 10.5 x 10.125 side panels

The rear panel has a 2' hole for the port with the center of the hole 3" from the top and a 3" hole for the wire cup 3.5" from the bottom.

6. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to take orders for boxes right now, but I do have a pair of boxes that are 12.5"x8"x10.5" (HWD) that are unfinished, unbraced, and rounded on all four edges of the baffle that I would probably be willing to cut holes in and sell. (They are MBOW1 boxes.) Let me know ASAP, because I will probably be using them to practice spraying lacquer some time this weekend.

7. HungLe

HungLe Agent

george king,

Thanks for sending cabinets plan.

Thanks to everyone else too for replying!

I would love to have my cabinets made by people such as Brian and Dan, unfortunately I am a poor college student (although somewhat less poor now with my part time job) so I will attempt to build the cabinets first. If the task ends up being impossible then I will consider the additional cost of getting premade cabs. Sigh..can't wait till I graduate and get a REAL job. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

8. george king

hungle,

No problem. However, do order the kit with the Sonicaps upgrade. That really is money well spent.

You will love the speakers, I love mine

9. HungLe

HungLe Agent

george king,

I'll be sure to do that.

Another question, which side (top/bottom,side,front/back) stays inbetween the other two? I dont know if I make any sense.. but I dont know how to word it.

10. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

HungLe, I tried to respond to your e-mail, but it bounce. If you can get me an address that works, I can respond.

11. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Using the dimensions in my previous post the top and bottom are in between the front and back panels and the sides fit inside the front/back and top/bottom.
    !--------!
    ! !
    ! !
    ! !
    !--------!
    The !s are the front and back and the -s are the top and bottom.

You might be able to pay a cabinet maker to make the cuts for you.
    MDF is cheap so if you don't like your first attempt, try again. I just finished building my HT speakers, AV3 fronts, AV3 center, AV1 surrounds and a sub. I bought the baffles and grill covers from GR. The last one I built was much easier and looked better than the firstGood luck on your project.
    Good luck on your project.

Joey S

12. HungLe

HungLe Agent

Dan,

Sorry about that, I forgot to update my profile with my new email address which is [email protected]

13. HungLe

HungLe Agent

Joey,

Thanks for the dimension and the encouragement. I am not very good with my hands but for some reason, I keep coming back to building speakers despite my aweful skills. It is addicting hehe. At least I am improving somewhat.

14. HungLe

HungLe Agent

Hey guys,

Am I supposed to stuff the AV1 cabs with any polyfill and if so how much? I recently ordered the kit from GR-Research and it came with no stuffing material. Thanks.

15. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

This is from Danny at GR research:
    "With the A/V-1's you can either completely line the enclosures with some open cell foam or nearly completely fill them with poly fill so long as the port is left unobstructed."

16. HungLe

HungLe Agent

By leaving the port unobstructed, do you mean that there is an opening from the woofer to the port or that no polyfill in the port? Thanks.

17. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

I'm not sure, he probably meant no fill directly in front of the port. I just lined mine with foam and did not use any fill.

18. HungLe

HungLe Agent

Hmm..do you guys know any typical local stores that would carry open cell foam? I tried Home Depot and they didnt have a clue what I was talking about.

19. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

craft stores, walmart, i got my 5 lb box of poly from walmart for only 6 bucks or so

20. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

For open cell foam I used a mattress pad from Wal-mart.