GR-Research AV line

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

It appears Danny updated the AV line of speakers with the smaller 5.25" driver. (The GR M-130)

The smaller driver has less extension but I wonder if it has more detail because of the higher frequency capability.

I also hope they didn't discontinue the GR-165 drivers and that they are just out of stock.

Does anyone know if the AV-1+ will be a good match as surrounds with the old AVs? Because I have a friend who wants to get the AV-1+ as center and surrounds but it will have to be the new versions I guess. They use the same tweeter, it's just the mids that have been changed.

Has anyone heard the M-130 AVs?

GR-Research

2. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

can't really awnser your question but happy birthday[​IMG] Ah, to be 21 again.... oh wait I am[​IMG]

3. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I think the A/V-3 was/is the only model in the A/V line that used the GR-165 driver. The A/V-1 and A/V-1+ have always used a 5.25" driver. It was the GR-130 (non 'M') 5.25 driver before the upgrade last summer to the GR M-130.

I did noticed he is also going to use a new 16-ohm version of the m-130 in the updated A/V-3s which will make the A/V-3 an 8-ohm speaker instead of a 4-ohm speaker.

I wonder if he has plans to use the new GR-130 16 in the A/V-1+s making them an 8-ohm speaker? That would help out some people wanting to use them with a less expensive 5 channel receiver that cannot push a 5 x 4-ohm load!

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Chris,

Last week or so, I posted my review of the A/V-1s here, and a couple of other places. It had the new woofer, the Caps upgrade, and BH5. You could do a search for the full review. However, one of the comments I made was regarding the amount of detail these speakers retrieve. It is simply amazing.

As to extension. I have the smaller boxes tuned to 60 Hz and not 55 Hz. In spite of this, the speakers but out a lot of really tight articulate bass. You would need a sub with these (they are only monitors with a 5.25" woofer), but for most music they are pretty good.

If you are worried about a match, simply buy the new woofers from Danny and replace them in the current speakers.

Hope this helps.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

OK, here's the deal on the A/V-3's. Danny is changing the A/V-3 to use the smaller 5.25" woofers but is getting 16 ohm versions so that the speaker will have an nominal 8 ohm impedance. The tower will be a transmission line instead of the normal ported enclosure. IIRC, Danny will also offer an 8 ohm version of the A/V-1+.

As to the difference in sound of the current A/V-3 vs. the A/V-1+, the A/V-3 has better extension but the A/V-1+ is definitely the better sounding speaker overall. It's got much better midrange quality, so I'd expect the new TL version of the A/V-3 to have the same. It'll have better extension than the A/V-1+ but I'd imagine it'll be slightly less than the current A/V-3 with the 6.5" woofers. To me, this gives you a better speaker in general. I've learned that I'll trade a little extension in favor of better midrange quality any day. That's what subs are for.

Another advantage, at least to some, is that the same baffles and grills can be used for both the A/V-1+'s and A/V-3's since the cabinet widths will be the same. The new cabinet dimensions will be 41.875"H x 8"W x 10"D. It'll have the same braces between on either side of the tweeter except they'll be 3/4" MDF. There will be a 5.5" x 5.5" diagonal brace that connects the top to the back, centered in the cabinet. Then there will be 6 transitional braces back and forth between the front and back of the cabinet.

6. Chris Tsutsui

Thanks, I learned something new. I always thought the AV-1 and AV-1+ used the GR-165 drivers.

I guess I thought this because Danny posted on his site that the AV-3s have the same quality except capable of a deeper extension.

Here's another question. If the AV-1+ benefit from the sonicaps then will the AV-3 benefit as well?

The AV-3s only use one capacitor so the upgrade is significantly cheaper at like $26 as opposed to $100. This leads me to believe the difference will be more subtle due to the AV-3 not having as big as a window to upgrade. Anyways I guess I'm soon to find out as I ordered them yesterday.

I wonder why have I never read that the AV-1+ sounds better than the AV-3? I guess this means if my friend gets AV-1+ as surrounds, they will actually be better as mains thus leaving the AV-3s as surrounds. (Weird)

Had I known this I definitely would have purchased AV-1+ speakers all around. It'll probably be a better 5.1 match than with the AV-3s. What a disapointment [​IMG]

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Yah, the AV1+ has always been the best in his line-up. Danny old me that it was his favorite when I asked him about his speakers almost a year and a half ago.

Good deal that the AV1+'s will be 8 ohms now, I just decided on my new front soundstage.

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Chris,

I haven't compared the A/V-3's with and without the Sonicaps, so I can't tell about that. But someone on HD did the upgrade and felt it was worth the money.

9. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I'm Danny's tower cabinet guy. I built a pair of the A/V-3's for a local customer and he is delighted with them. I didn't do an A/B comparison with the A/V1+'s, but I couldn't fault the sound of the towers. Remember, the design goals are different, as towers are *usually* used in HT's for SPL's and lower extension. Speakers optimized for best music/midrange reproduction are *usually* used for audio.
    Why am I already regretting this post? Small voice inside my head: "because you're about to get 875 responses from people using monitors for HT and towers for music, dummy!"

I second Brian's comment about trading lower extension for better midrange any day![​IMG]

Okay, back to my beer.

10. Chris Tsutsui

Yeah, I know I probably wouldn't be able to hear a difference unless I could ABA test them. It's just the thought of making a wrong decision that wants to haunt me.

My take is the AV-3s are for 2 channel music. The monitors are for 5.1 surround sound so the speakers will all be perfectly matched and integrate with a 80hz crossover subwoofer well.

The one benefit of the AV-3s is that the sonicap upgrade is only $26 as opposed to $100. Good show [​IMG]