GR Research AV-3 Opinions?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Don McKinnon, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Don McKinnon

Don McKinnon Auditioning

Nov 28, 2002
    Thinking of building a pair of the new GR Research AV-3 speakers. Have not been able to find any reviews/opinions on the new design that GR Research are now offering. Opinions on these speakers would be greatly appreciated. What might they compare to that is comercially made and whether there are other speaker kits I should be considering (tower two way design).

2. CarlDais

CarlDais Stunt Coordinator

Sep 24, 2000
    I have heard them twice now.
    Once up at VSAC in Silverdale Wasington.
    Once down in Witchita Falls for DIY Texas.

I'd easily comapare them to Paradigm 6os
    which I own....Easily cmpares---surpasses.

SOme of the attendees at DIY Texas preferred
    the A-3's to some of the other more resloving
    and refined speakers. Two wives even preferred
    the sound to Danny's more expensive Diluceo.
    At VSAC people were very imrpessed and amazed
    at their performance. The commnets were that
    get so much damn good sound...full sound, not thin.

Very subjective...speakers.

First Danny has done very well to provide
    Hi-end sound at Value prices. These are
    full bodied speakers. Good detail and nice balance.
  3. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

May 17, 2002
    Don, here are a couple of links posted by Danny Richie on a previous thread.

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Feb 1, 2002
    I own a pair of old AV3s (not TL type) with sonicaps, and I'd say they sound fairly similar to Paradigm Studio 100s with the paradigms being a bit more forward.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed with them as usually people arn't that hear them at DIY meets or that buy the kits.

I did find a few people that prefer the sound of the Adire Audio Kit281s over the AV3s. This is because the Adires have a brighter sound to them with a more forward presentation. The Kit281s are better suited for louder volumes and rock music, and seemed to play a bit more grain in music tracks though. The AV3s have a smooth sound that is not particularly picky on the source or amp.

If you've heard a pair of JBL S38s, and AB compare them to an AV1 or AV3, you'll notice the JBLs will appear to sound muffled like a blanket is put over them. Klipsch speakers will sound much brighter than the AVs making the AVs much easier on the ears which reduces ear fatigue.

I also found that the Kit281s have a mid range that may cause some ear fatigue while the AV3s have no fatigue, but can tend to be too laid back for some people's taste.