GR Research AV-1+ blackhole 5 and sonicaps?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by bruin, Apr 15, 2003.

1. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Which of the two would have more benefits if I only had to choose one to upgrade? Also what are the benefits of each? Hopefully someone can clarify this for me as I'm about to start the project in about a week.

2. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Go for the caps first if you are tight on the coin.
    Them later the BH.
    The caps are the most important.
    Having just built 3 of Dannys designs.I will say the caps are worth every penny.
    Just use a insulation that can be changed later.
    And the BH is also worth the money as well.
    Danny has done a lot of work getting the best products for the best price and I think both should be had if you can afford it at some time.

Al

http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/wrn...eakerbuilding/

3. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

For the A/V-1+, I would also go with the caps before the BH-5 IF you can only get one of the options. The A/V-1+ is so well braced already, the BH-5 is not as effective as it would be on a lesser braced cabinet. I am not saying that the BH-5 does not make an improvement, it does. And I think it is still worth the extra money. The caps just have a greater improvement/cost ratio.

Also the BH-5 will be a lot easier to add later on than the caps would be, especially if you liquid nail the x-over to the cabinet like Danny does.

Ronnie

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I have 5 AV1+'s and would definately go for the caps. I personally saw no benefit from the BH5. I couldn't tell the difference between two sets of my speakers with or without it.

Darren

5. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Wow, what fast and very informative responses! Thanks a lot guys! I just left a message on GR's answering machine hopefully they haven't shipped the kits out yet.

Allen, thanks again for that mcm pair (i don't have them yet but when i do i'll let you know how i like them)

On a separate note, does MDF need to be filled with wood filler or is it ready to be painted right after sanding?

I'm planning to have the AV1+'s match my subs which have maple veneer stained in mahogany. As of now, it's really hard to see the maple look under the stain.

I guess I should just try it out on scrap mdf and see what happens huh? But if you guys have an opinion about this please let me know. Thanks

6. Ronnie Ferrell

7. ChristopherD

ChristopherD Stunt Coordinator

What are the main differences you guys have noticed with the Sonicaps?

8. DerrickN

DerrickN Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ronnie,
    Where did you buy the Solar-lux dye? I can't seem to find them at my local Home Depot or Lowes' store.

Thanks,
    Derrick

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Derrick,

You won't find the Solar-Lux products at your local home improvement stores. I order mine from WoodCraft.

10. Ronnie Ferrell

DerrickN- Brian is correct, you will not find Behlen products (the maker of Solar-lux) at a generic hardware or giant hardware store. I am lucky and have a local specalty fine woodworking store close by called Colco. Their prices for Solar-Lux is actually cheaper than WoodCraft. Check your local yellow pages to see if you have a woodworking store in your town (not a lumber yard).

The hard thing about mail ordering dyes/stains is you cannot try them out before you buy them. The solar-Lux is anywhere between $8 and $12 a bottle. I took a shelf from my Armoire in to my local store and we tried different combination of the dye to get me in the ballpark of the color I was trying to match. I still wound up buying 3 different bottles of the dye and experimenting at home before deciding on the color. This was my first time to use the dye so I figured I had a learning curve.

Ronnie

11. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Any comments on ChristopherD's question regarding the benefits of the Sonicap upgrade?

12. Danny Richie

Danny Richie Stunt Coordinator

13. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Hey Danny,

Thanks for that link...it's me James P who ordered the kits a few days ago[​IMG]

14. ChristopherD

ChristopherD Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, thanks! It's me, ChristopherD, who will be ordering the kits a few days from now.