What's new

GR-Research Alpha LS owners out there? Need input!! (1 Viewer)

Shawn Keeler

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if there where any people out there with a pair of GR Research Alpha LS speakers. I have been considering taking on this project and wanted to get some input on sound quality and the overall finished project. Any finished pictures or input would be great. Also, for those of you that have them, how are they for home theater use? I thought I also had heard that Danny was developing a center channel for this pair, but I don't know if that is true. Again, any input would be great. Shawn

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
No problem, Danny often answers questions there himself. I've just built a A/V3s for my center channel. Excellent kit, the best sounding CC for the $. I am planning on building the A/V3 for my mains or maybe 2 more A/V3s when I get a chance.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Shawn, I built the cabinets for Danny's personal pair that are on his web site. Here are a couple more shots:
http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
They had a huge, deep soundstage, but he has changed the crossover since then, so I can't comment on the current version. I built a pair of his first version A/V-3's and recently built a pair of the new transmission line version for myself. They sound very good indeed and are a perfect dual-purpose HT/music speaker pair.

Shawn Keeler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I have just purchased five sheets of MDF. So now comes the hard stuff. I will keep you all posted on the progress.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Hank, I was looking at your pics and the one titled "Well-braced cabinets" is that the new AV-3 transmission line cabinet?

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
don't think so, if you look at the PDF for the TL AV3's, the cabinet is pretty much a giant folded port.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Joey, in answer to your question, those pics are of the previous generation A/V-3's. I have construction pics of the new TL design somewhere and may post them later.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Shawn, you are going to love those Alphas. Hank, so those pics I saw were the old AV-3. I am a proud owner of the TL AV-3; man I never get tired of listening to them. However, when I auditioned them at Danny's he said " OK, now I am going to spoil you" and fired up his Alpha's. Someday....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks