GR Research A/V-3

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ArthurJ, Feb 11, 2004.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

What are the advantages over the A/V-2? I can get this kit with all the upgrades and MDF for $750 Canadian. If one was to take his time I don't feel that one would need to spend $800 on pre-built enclosures when it only costs $16 for the MDF to build a pair. I understand some people don't have the resources, which is fine. But I feel for the best bang for buck I better build my own enclosures.

So, are these guys substanitally better then the A/V-2? Or should I just get the A/V-2's? Thanks!

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

arthur,

Others will debate the sound differences between the AV-2 and AV-3 (I own the AV-1s and love them).

However, I will comment on the enclosures. Brian Bunge built mine, and he is the source (along with Hank) for the AV-3 cabs. First, their workmanship is amazing. I do not know about your abilities, but Brian is a cabinet maker by trade. His work is probably better than 99% of the people on the board. Second, it is not $16 for MDF alone. You need to figure in the cost of the veneer. Third, is your time. Your working on the cabs is time away from other activities, including listening to your speakers. Lastly, this is a business for Brian, so he needs to make a profit, which is also part of the cost.

Again, I do not know about your abilities. But to be honest, for me the best bang for the buck was to have Brian (or Hank) build the enclosures for me. The same could be true for you.

Just my 2 cents, from a VERY satisfied customer.

3. CarlDais

CarlDais Stunt Coordinator

Substantially better? Pretty subjective.
    But I have heard them both and prefered the new AV-3 TL design. In fact at VSAC and at GR DIY Texas 2003 there were more than a few people who tought the AV-3 sounded better than his new and much more expensive Diluceo. It just goes to show you that 1. it's a good desgin & 2. sound is very subjective.

4. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

A/V-3s sounded better than Diluceos? Holy cow... what makes the A/V-3s so different from the A/V-2s? Is it a different crossover (besides compensation for the doubled woofer impedance)?

5. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

I built three AV-2's for the placement flexibility of my front three (LCR). Fits under the screen great, and I love them!!! I am in the process of building a pair of in-wall dipoles with one GR 5.25 and two GR Tweets. (The same I used in the AV-2's).

http://www.keelercables.com/keeler_theatre.htm

6. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Keep in mind that the av/2 is a 4 ohm speaker and the av/3 is an 8 ohm. If you don't have a subwoofer you might consider the av/3 because it will play down to 40 hz compared to 55hz for the av/2.

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

8. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

I heard something about an A/V-3S. What is this and how does it differ? thanks!

9. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

It is a non ported shielded version of the AV/3. I use one for the center channel to go with my AV/3 mains and AV/1 surrounds.

10. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

How are they for mains?

11. Danny Richie

Danny Richie Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the kind words fellows.

I have sold a lot of them already considering I haven't built all the web pages for them yet.

Here is the front page for that design. It will answer most of your questions. Sorry, the links don't work yet as those pages have yet to be built, but I am working on them every chance I get.

http://www.gr-research.com/performer/av3s.htm

Thanks all, and good questions.

12. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Thanks Danny for the reply,

The $750 also factors in the cost of two BH-5, Sonicaps, and Front Baffle with magnetic grill.

13. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Danny,

I have a few more questions, from my understanding the A/V-3S is the A/V-3 in a different enclosure, is the crossover the same? Does the sealed version offer any advantages over the normal A/V-3? If you don’t mind me asking, what was the targeted audience when releasing this speaker when you have the already A/V-3?

Thanks!

14. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Direct cut-&-paste quote from Danny's link above:

"This sealed box design allows it to be used as a center channel speaker or as left and right mains when placement dictates that they be up against a wall or mounted in an entertainment system."

rf

15. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

bump

16. Danny Richie

Most so far most that have built the A/V-3S are using it as a center speaker with A/V-3's.

See cut and paste from Ronnie above too.

17. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Ok, so I need the following...I think I am just going to go with the A/V-3S because not only do I need an 8 ohm speaker, but the sealed configuration is appealing. Is the A/V-3S a better speaker then the A/V-2?

18. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I have not heard the A/V-3S but here is my take on it:

It's not that one is better than the other, it's that they are different for different applications, needs, and personal likes?

A/V-2: Ported, will play deeper. Has the sound characteristics of a ported speaker. 4-Ohm load. Needs some breathing room behind it when ported in the back.

A/V-3s: Sealed, so will not play as low as the A/V-2. Has the sound characteristics of a sealed speaker. 8-Ohm Load. Can be placed closer to the back wall than the A/V-2.

You really cannot say one is better than the other. If you like the sound of a sealed speaker and/or can only drive an 8-Ohm load and/or need them really close to the back wall of your room, get the A/V-3S. If you like the sound of a ported speaker, an 8-Ohm load is a non-issue, and you have some room behind the speakers, get the A/V-2.

rf

19. Danny Richie

Ronnie hit the nail on the head.

20. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

The old AV-3 had only one capacitor in the crossover which means there were less components for the signal path to go through.

This lead me to believe that since both speakers had similar sound, the AV-3 sounded better due to less of a crossover to get there.

I have no idea with the new AV-3 and AV-2s though.