GR-Research A/V-2s as starters?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tim Holyoke, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I've been wanting to extend my TV/movie/video game experience to more than just the TV for a long time, but I never wanted to drop the money on something that was either too expensive for me at the time, or just crappy components that wouldn't last a long time.

DIY speakers have always interested me, but I just never knew enough to follow through on anything. Well, now I have an excellent woodworker/electrician at my disposal, and I'd like to put him to work [​IMG] .

Would the GR-Research A/V-2s be a good set of DIY speakers to start my HT with? http://www.gr-research.com/performer/av2.htm At $300 for a pair, I could definitely justify it if they were going to be a high quality speaker that will last a long time.

With something like this, would a subwoofer be real necessary right away? Eventually, it'd be an obvious addition, but for now I'd like to keep it to a pair of front mains and a receiver. What else would you recommend? Thanks a lot for any help.

Tim

2. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Keep checking back here. There's a guy on this forum named John Garcia who has these speakers and could probably tell you all you want to know about them.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    [​IMG] Did someone mention A/V-2s? The sound they produce is quite amazing for the price. With a -3dB at 55Hz, they definitley don't extend low enough to be used without a sub all the time, but they have pretty respectable bass. I listen to them full range with music and they sometimes surprise me; most of the time I run them with an 80Hz x-over though. You could get away without a sub at first yes.

The components are definitely not el-cheapo and GR carries replacements if you should have a problem, for a relatively low cost. I had a damaged tweeter on one and was able to get a PAIR of matched tweeters for very little. A buddy has been using a full set of A/V-1s for at least 3+ years and I haven't heard of him having any problems with them. My A/V-1s are about that old too, and they still sound great. I don't think you'll have to worry about the quality of the components.

NOTE: The A/V-2 is 4 Ohm; plenty of power will be a benefit.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

If you want to go the kit route....I am not sure how much better you can do than the A/V-2 at $300. I demoed a pair in my home....a fine speaker.

Here are some pics of the pair I had. The cabinets were made by Brian Bunge of www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John
    My 3 A/V-2s were all made by Brian also. [​IMG] The pair shown on his site are actually the ones I bought from him.

PIC

6. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Brian made my stands too!

7. John Garcia

John
    I don't know what your budget is, but Brian has a pair of complete A/V-2s and matching stands that he is selling at a discounted price right now. You might want to e-mail him and inquire about them.

8. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks for the input guys.

As a newb to all of this, what makes 4 ohms require more power? I'm assuming I could find something over at howstuffworks.com? How would the A/V-3s compare? They are only $30 more, but I suppose would require a bit more work. Building stands could end up costing me that $30 difference though, no?

I want to build my own cabinets (with help from the expert, of course) - how much should I expect to spend over the $300?

What would be a good receiver to run these through? Again, I'd like something that will last a long time - I don't plan on constantly upgrading [​IMG] .

Thanks again for the help.

Tim

9. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Eddie Horton, Your signature is offensive to any PETA member. Of course, that means I LIKE it ... [​IMG]

10. John Garcia

John

I built my first sub with $20 worth of MDF, a box of wood screws, wood glue, RTV, and $10 of fleck-stone paint. If you aren't going to veneer or do some other fancy finish, the cabinets should be fairly inexpensive.

I don't plan on upgrading from these speakers for a long time either.

When resistance is decreased, current flow increases, so the amp is driven harder.

11. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Craig. By the way, do you know what PETA stands for? People Eating Tasty Animals. I had a spotted owl for lunch.. it tasted just like chicken. Go figure.

12. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    That is something ... I just had chicken that tastes like Spotted Owl ... What ARE the odds ?

13. John Garcia

John
    I love animals...especially with a nice gravy. [​IMG] (old bumper sticker).

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Nothing to add, just wanted to say I enjoyed the irreverance [​IMG]

15. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks for all the speaker help [​IMG] . I definitely appreciate the comments though - I farm for a living [​IMG] .

I'm leaning towards the AV3 kit now though, mainly because of the 4 ohm vs. 8 ohm difference, plus only a $30 price difference. Floorstanding or on a stand, makes no difference to me.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

16. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I did a comparison of the AV2's and the Onix Ref 1's ($1500) last year and for $300 dollars I think you would be hard pressed to find a better value than the AV2's. You can read my impressions of both speakers here if you like. I ended up choosing the Ref 1's but I was comparing the built price of the AV2's not the kit price.

Edit: I heard the same pair that Curtis posted pictures of above. He sent them to me after he was done. Thanks again.

17. JasonCI

JasonCI Stunt Coordinator

18. John Garcia

John
  19. george king

george king Supporting Actor

You may want to hold off. Danny is about to introduce the AV-4, which is a 3 way design. Think AV-1 with sidefiring 12" woofer and 12" passive radiator.

You can see pics of the prototype at

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...ic.php?t=16933

Just food for thought.

20. John Garcia

John
    [​IMG]