What's new

GR Reseach AV1+ sound qualities vs. B&W / Sonus. (1 Viewer)

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently in the market for new speakers but can't seem to make up my mind on what I want. I am running Polk RT800i's for mains and a CS400i for the center. In the last few months I have auditioned Sonus Faber Concerto's, Grand Piano and the B&W N805. The imaging of these three speakers was just awesome. I want to go with a nice bookshelf speaker, but don't want to break the bank doing it. I really like what I have read and seen on GR Research / Rutledge Audio. Does the AV1+ that GR sells and Rutledge builds compare to the Sonus Concerto or B&W N805? I want the imaging and transparency these two provide. If the AV1+ comes close then they are what I will purchase. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Robert Barker
Austin TX

Gregg_M

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

If you are looking at Bookshelf speakers, do your self a favor and find a dealer that will allow you to audition the Spendor s3/5's. They are about 800/ retail. I looked at the the sonus and b&w and found that my spendors were equal too if not a bit better. They are well built and sound awesome with music as well as HT. They are not very efficient however so whatever you have for Amplification make sure you have enough. If you have any questions let me know.

Gregg

Alex F.

Second Unit
Early last year my wife and I settled on a pair of Sonus-Faber Concerto Homes for our upcoming den system. They offered the smooth, slightly warm, detailed, nonfatiguing, and (above all) musical sound that we like.

Then we heard the newly introduced Polk LSi-9--it was love on first listen. If you like the Sonus-Faber sound, be sure to audition the LSi models as a possible alternative. (Vandersteen is also similar in tonal signature and definitely worth an audition.) Polk developed their new audiophile series with the top European brands in mind, such as S-F and Vienna Acoustics. They hit the target.

We ended up purchasing the LSi-25 floorstanding model. A search should yield my many past comments about the LSi-9 and 25.

Happy listening!

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
JM Reynaud Twin MKIII's are a world class under a grand speaker - $895 I believe. The Spendor's are a very nice suggestion as well. You can find a review of the Twins on Positive Feedback online that compares and contrasts the two. Of course I believe that also means you can find a review of the Spendor's there as well or perhaps Enjoy the Music. Bob Neill is the reviewer.

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Robert:

Excellent question...I'd love to hear some responses, as well. I'm also wondering how some of these DIY / kit speakers stack up against some of the more well-known brands.

While I'm not looking at the same brands that you are, I hope some folks that have the AV1+'s or maybe some Adire bookshelfs can chime in here and share their experiences and comparisons.

Jack

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at another set for my living room (I have polk LSi 9/c/fx in the HT room), and was looking at kit speakers, for which I was directed to:
http://snippets.org/ldsg/sect-16.php3
Which happens to be very helpful, although not complete. If you look at the GR kits and the Adire kits, the GR kits seem to be better, at least from customer feedback.
I was very close to doing the av1+'s but ended up doing GR criterions for which I'm in the process of building the cabinets for. Danny at GR is very helpful and amazingly patient with my questions. The only other one in that price range I was really considering is Dave Ellis's 1801's. I went with the Criterion because of the tweeter, and because it was smaller which is an issue for the significant other. I'll be running with a sub so I'm not too worried about the bass on the smaller cabinet.
Anyway, you could ask GR or Adire if there's anyone in your area that has those. They might be able to contact someone and ask if it would be alright for you to go hear them. It's always better to use your own ears than someone elses since different people like different things and terms like transparent, imaging, etc are all subjective. I think people that are nutty enough to build a kit are nutty enough to show them off. Of course generalizations always get me into trouble. :| But it cant hurt to ask, right?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The GR Research speakers are simply amazing, and Brian at Rutledge is also a great guy to deal with (if you don't want to build your own cabinets). I don't think you could go wrong with any of GRs kits. I have heard the AV1 and the Paradox 1, and I was extremely impressed with them. I have not listened to the 805s, but I have spent some time with the CDM line. I have heard the Sonus Fabers in question, as well as Vienna Acoustics, KEF, Paradigm Reference, and I would have to say they definitely hold their own in leagues with these brands.

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, I was looking around, and apparently there are several models of GR's going around as demo's for people to audition in their homes. There's a pair of Criterion's (which I really wish I knew about last week) and some AV1's. If you're serious, you could try to contact him and see if you can get on the waiting list. They are apparently in the Wisconsin area at the moment.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered the new 25th anniversary ACI Sapphire's due out in February? Maybe a little more than the GR's, but definately less than the Sonus Fabers and B&W's. You have a 30 day money back guarantee if they don't suit your interests. You can check them out.Here

george king

Supporting Actor
Robert,

Call Danny and see what can be arranged. As someone stated there are a pair of AV-1s going around. I am currently building a pair of AV-1s based on word of mouth alone (and they will be replacing a pair of Kef Q15's). Or you could drive up and see Danny (detour through Ft Worth for some culture) and then off to Iowa City which is about 1.6 hrs further north.

Hope this helps.

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
Only thing about Martice's post is that the first two reference the Paradox, which is no longer available because focal discontinued the drivers it was based on. They've been replaced by the av series, which is also very well recieved.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Robert,
I own the Sonus faber Concertos and also the Signums from their Classic series. I also have the Polk LSi-9 and they are excellent performers. I highly recommend them for $650 shipped. For the price they will embarass a number of the speakers you have mentioned.
The LSi series uses the Vifa ring radiator tweeter that Sonus uses in the Cremona ;)

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I built the AV1's and think they are awesome. The imaging is simply stunning and the bass they produce for a small speaker is incredible. The crossover parts are super high quality as well. Compare the crossover parts in the AV1 to any commercial speaker under $2000.00 and you will be amazed. DIY is the only way to get super high quality for a low price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks