GR A/V 3 vs. Eros MKII from speakerbuilder.net

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by cacu, Nov 16, 2003.

1. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

To all the DIY pros out there who've had experience with both of these, please give your thoughts and comments in comparison to these two speakers.
    GR A/V 3 Assuming the A/V 3 with the Sonocap upgrade.
    Eros MKII

I'm particularly looking for the following info:
    1) Describe the characteristics of each speaker. (IE: Bright, warm, tweeter, bass, image and so on)
    2) The pros and cons of each speaker
    3) Your final conclusion. a) Assuming the difference in money is not a factor b) Assuming the difference in money is a factor. c) is the extra cost worth it for the Eros MKII?

I realize that the Eros cost about $100 more than the A/V 3. But my thoughts are: if I'm going to spend the time, money and effort to build the cabinets for these, the extra $100 is not a big deal if the performance is better. From my novice view, the Eros seem to have overall better drivers and components.

I hope I'm not asking for too much.
    Thanks

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I don't have the Eros MKII, but I own the PL18 6.5" woofer and I've heard the Scanspeak tweet so i can try and make a comparison. [​IMG]

I would suspect that the Eros MKII will have more bite, and be more forward sounding. Possibly more detail than the AV3. They will also be more picky about the source. They will play loud and crisp for rock music, and the highs will brighter compared to the more laid back AV3s.

The AV3s will excel at vocals with the natural sounding woofers, and they will sound decent on poor sources. They will be easier on the ears, but not seem like they are sacrificing any detail. However, if you hear them side by side, you may find that the Eros will be able to play a little more detail because of the presentation.

Imaging on both will be great, the eros might be slightly better at pinpointing images though. I can't comment on the bass, but I don't think there should be that much of a difference unless one can go deeper than the other.

The thing is, I don't know how the crossover sounds for the Eros, but if it's done well then the Eros might suit you better. It really is down to taste... If you like sound that has more edge, foward, detail then go Eros. If you like slightly laid back, smooth, pleasant, then go AV3.

Remember, this review is based off assumptions cause I don't know if you'll find somebody that's compared them both.

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I built the Eros using both the parallel and series xover. Very nice speaker! I really fell in love with the SS9500 tweeter. All in all I thought it was a little bright in my room and I padded the tweeter down 1 or 2 dB. From then on it was smoooooth sailing.[​IMG]

I've only heard the AV2s and the Diluceos from GR. The AV2s didn't do too much for me but the Diluceos were very nice.

Pete

4. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Chris,
    I currently have a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 and Studio CC for center driven by Pioneer Elite 45TX and I think it is great but a little too bright.

My sources are more on the poor side as I listen to music from CDs that are not very well recorded and watch movies mostly from DirecTivo.
    The thing about DIY is you can't really try it until you build it and by then its too late so that's why I'm relying on feedbacks from forums like this to help with my decisions.

5. Danny Richie

Danny Richie Stunt Coordinator

Chris, you need to hear the new A/V-3's. I think you would be surprised.

I just finished a design this weekend for a guy that used a 5" Eton and the 9500 tweeter.

I can't say that our new GR-T2 gives up anything to the 9500.

Pete, the A/V-2's you heard had the older GR-T1 tweeter.

Cacu, I have not heard the Eros either. I like Wayne and what he has done for the DIY community. I am sure it sounds great.

I wish you could hear them both.

The A/V-3 is the best sounding speaker we have ever released in our A/V series. Believe it or not I had four different people, at the VSAC show, tell me they liked the sound of it better than our more expensive Diluceo.

Hopefully you'll get some more feedback here to your question that will be useful.

Thanks for your considerations.

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I haven't heard the Eros, but would like to hear a comparison. I just finished a pair of A/V-3's and am breaking them in. They do not sound too laid back to me, although the SS tweet at quite a bit more money, should sound "better". So far, I'm very pleased. These will make great combo (HT and music) speakers. I have my favorite absolute lowest-cost DIY towers, the SCH K08T23 towers. Now, I have a recommendation for a better-sounding, step-up category: the A/V-3's.

7. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Yeah, I built a pair of AV2s for a friend who ran them on a vintage marantz tube amps. It had sonicaps and GR-T2 tweeters. I own a pair of AV3s with sonicaps, T1 tweeters and GR-6.5" woofers.

It's actually hard to tell speakers apart unless you can hear them side by side.

If I just listen to one pair by itself, it'll sound fine. I was just "comparing" the two speakers by guessing the Eros is seemingly brighter/detailed than the other. Not saying the AV/3 isn't detailed because it sure doesn't seem that way when you are listening to them on their own.

The new AV3 is likely better than the AV3 which I have. I know the Old AV3 got some pretty good reviews at the last speaker gathering with a few people saying it had a little cabinet resonance and sounded a little too smooth for some ppl's taste. The cabinet hump would have probably been fixed with blackhole 5 and could even be eliminated with the new TL enclosure. Now I say smooth, but it doesn't mean that it sounds blurry. The smooth/soft sound may be simply a characteristic of the paper cone and soft dome tweeter.

I was told that the difference in sound the AV3 had from the more forward sounding speakers such as the Kit281 was the crossover point. I picture the Eros to sound closer to the Kit281 and Usher than the AV series which appear to almost be in a league of their own.

Want to know what speaker I would get if cost was no object? It would be the Linkwitz Phoenix or Orions. Once I heard a song I was familiar with, that speaker set the bar for me. The minor setback is it's a minimum of about $4,000 DIY for the cheaper Orion, and if you can build an 8 channel amp yourself (it needs for 4 separate amps for each speaker), you can save about $1400. *Ouch [​IMG]