Gouranga! - Free GTA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianB, Mar 7, 2003.

1. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Rockstar have made the original PC version of Grand Theft Auto (with all the award winning audio!) available for download from their website for free.

http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

It should be noted that the site is getting hammered.

Look past the primitive graphics & the lack of polish, you'll find a rather fun game.

"Gouranga!"

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I wish even more publishers/developers would do this. I've always thought that the first two GTA games were pretty high on their quality of gameplay. You should be proud.

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I am downloading right now. Once I get this download, all I will need is GTA: London 1969 in order to complete the collection. [​IMG] I bought GTA 2 on PC, and GTA 3 and Vice City on PS2.

4. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Oh man, BrianB, I am all over this! (Or at least I will be when my 56k modem finishes downloading it in about a week or so. Hope the site supports GetRight.)

The first time I played GTA, my pre-pentium 486 75MHZ laptop was too slow for it. Terrible frame rates when too many cops were on my trail. But I still loved the game and had a blast playing it. For me there was nothing else like it at the time.

Then when I finally got a faster machine, PII 400MHZ tower, the game ran TOO fast to be playable, even with the help of a program designed to slow down older DOS games.

On Blues News they say the code for the free download has been "updated to operate on modern systems under Windows" so I'm hoping it won't run too fast on my already aging 1 gig Athalon.

Either way, I can't wait to check it out. Just thinking about it is already bringing back a wave of happy gaming nostalgia. Say, haven't I heard that you had something to do with the making of this game, BrianB? Or was it later games in the series? Don't be modest...

Gouranga indeed! Gonna get those Krishnas this time, you bet.

5. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Heh, I love it when companies do this. This is the best free game offer since Sierra put Betrayal at Krondor (one of the best computer RPGs of its era) up for free download.

6. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    "Cannot Find Server". I guess I'll have to wait a while for this one, very cool though.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up Brian. Ill be downloading when I get home.

Now if only Bethesda would make Daggerfall available for free! (it used to be on some "abandon ware" sites but have since disappeared and I lost my original download)

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Ziiiiiip! Brief update for people. If you have the personal server access or feel like waiting in line, you can now snag this same file over at FilePlanet. It's undoubtedly a mile faster than waiting for the deluged Rockstar site to load up.

11. James Zos

I've had no luck with the link Rockstar emailed to me. If you're 56k (like me), the problem with FilePlanet is that you can't use a program to resume your downloads, at least, that's what I remember the last time I tried FilePlanet.
    Guess I'll just have to wait a couple of days for the traffic to die down (sigh).

12. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

13. James Zos

"Just curious. What's the largest file you've downloaded with dial-up?"

Off the top of my head, I'd say I just downloaded one of the largest demos I've ever squeezed through my pitiful 56K connection, that would be the new single player Rainbow Six Raven Shield demo (if you like realistic military FPS, its pretty nice), which came in at 223 megs and took me about 14 hours or so, maybe a little longer.

I know I've downloaded larger files, but that's the largest one I can recall recently. I remember when the 100 meg Kingpin demo was considered huge. Now that's nothing.

A good speed for me is about 4.5k a second. Pitiful, I know. Usually it is more like 4.0k...

I'm going to be moving out of the backwater rural area I'm living in now, and hopefully will be able to convince my girlfriend that we should get a faster connection when they're availble...To give you an idea of what I'm dealing with, not only do I have a 56k line, it sometimes slows down to a virtual standstill or cuts out completely because the squirels around here like to chew through the Pacific Bell outside lines...

14. James Zos

Well, I finally got on. I'm getting 3.4k a second, GetRight is telling me it will take 26 hours to finish the download, and there is a little message that says THIS SERVER DOES NOT SUPPORT RESUMING, which means, in effect, that I can kiss GTA goodbye.
    It's hopeless for anyone with a 56K modem like me to try to get this download. The connection will inevitably be broken at some point and then it's right back to zero.

15. Anthony Connor

Anthony Connor Stunt Coordinator

Biggest Download for me on a 56k modem would be 300meg patch for Trainz.

I also downloaded an update to American Army that was pretty huge.... not sure how big. It was a waste of time anyway cause it is an online game and my 56k modem can't handle it.

Lucky Getright does the job for me. It also had to dial up my ISP every 4 Hours as I would be cut off. Both took a few days.

Funny thing is though that once I downloaded an 80meg file for Falcon 4 and a few days later I bought a magazine that had the patch on a DVD.

Regards

AXE

16. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

GTA and GTA London (the 1969 version, anyway - that 1961 thing is news to me, and the hunt is now on...) are both in the "Sold Out" collection for PC, fellow Modem users.

Yes, its a fiver, but it would cost me that in phone bill, and its nice to have a proper CD.

Now if only I hadn't lent my original GTA to a friend all those years ago I wouldn't have needed this.

Mind you, I have GTA and London on PS, 2 on DC and PC and 3 and Vice City on PS2 to keep me busy anyway.

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's not hard to find, Iain. A look on the official GTA London site should turn it up rather easily [​IMG]