What's new

GOTHIKA - 2 Disc SE Announced for October 12th. (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Not sure if this has been mentioned....
---------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRESS RELEASE ATTACHED

Journey Into the Heart of Terror!

GOTHIKA

TWO-DISC SPECIAL EDITION

More Than $138 Million Worldwide Box-Office Bone Chiller

Starring Academy Award®-Winner Halle Berry,

Robert Downey, Jr., Charles S. Dutton and Penélope Cruz

Screaming onto DVD October 12 from Warner Home Video

"I cherished this movie in all of its lurid glory."

-Roger Ebert / Chicago Sun Times

"All the jumps and gasps an audience could want."

-Sean Axmaker, Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Burbank, Calif., July 21, 2004 – Re-enter the asylum. There are new secrets to discover. Horror fans will shudder with fear as Warner Home Video (WHV) debuts the all-new Gothika Two-Disc Special Edition DVD release just in time for Halloween screamfests on October 12. A haunting, heart-pounding horror/thriller from Dark Castle Entertainment starring Academy Award®-winner Halle Berry (X-Men 2, Die Another Day), Academy Award®-nominee Robert Downey, Jr. (Wonder Boys, Bowfinger), Charles S. Dutton (Secret Window, Against the Ropes) and Penélope Cruz (Vanilla Sky, Blow), the Gothika Two-Disc Special Edition will feature horrifying new bonus extras and collectible lenticular packaging, priced to own $26.99 SRP.

From the producers of Ghost Ship, Thirteen Ghosts and House on Haunted Hill, Joel Silver and Robert Zemeckis, Gothika debuted in the #1 spot at the box-office and has grossed near $139 million worldwide box-office. A stylish and atmospheric ghost story packed with hair-raising special effects and frightening twists and turns, Gothika left audiences gasping and had critics nationwide proclaiming the film as "a thrilling roller-coaster ride" (Jet Magazine) and a "sleek, fast nightmare thriller" (Chicago Tribune) that will "keep you in a state of nervous anticipation" (The New York Times).

DVD EXTRA CONTENT

The Gothika Two-Disc Special Edition DVD release will feature the following brand-new creepy content:

Go deeper into the terrifying world of Gothika with an interactive tour through Woodward Penitentiary’s Psych Ward – featuring interviews with the film’s characters and stories from inmate case files
Laugh until you scream when Halle Berry gets Punk’d at the movie’s Hollywood premiere
Two new in-depth featurettes: "On the Set of Gothika" and "Painting with Fire"
Audio commentary by director Mathieu Kassovitz and Director of Photography Matthew Libatique
Music video - "Behind Blue Eyes" by Limp Bizkit
Making Of Limp Bizkit music video
Theatrical Trailer

SYNOPSIS

A brilliant and respected criminal psychologist, Dr. Miranda Grey (Berry) is an expert at knowing what is rational. Under the direction of her husband (Dutton), Miranda treats dangerously disturbed patients at the Woodward Penitentiary for Women. But Miranda's life is thrust into terrifying jeopardy after a cryptic encounter with a mysterious young girl leads to a nightmare beyond her wildest imagination.

When Miranda awakens from the frightening incident, she is shocked to discover that her husband has been murdered – and the bloody evidence points directly at her. Miranda suddenly finds herself confined to Woodward alongside the highly unstable patients she used to treat. With no memory of the night in question except for fractured visions of the hauntingly enigmatic girl, her claims of innocence are seen as the beginnings of a deep descent into madness by her former colleagues like Dr. Pete Graham (Downey, Jr.). Forced to rely on her instincts rather than facts, Miranda must determine if she is being driven to madness…or closer to the truth.

BASICS

DVD – $26.99 SRP

Street Date: October 12, 2004

Running time: 98 mins.

Rating: R (for violence, brief language and nudity)

Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

DLBY/DGTL [CC]

DVD Widescreen [16x9 1:85:1 Transfer]

Travis W.

Second Unit
This is just like the extended Underworld disc: totally and completely unnecessary. Perhaps Catwoman is coming out the same day or the same time frame as to tie in. It may be less than three months away but Catwoman is going to tank anyway, might as well get it out on the streets quickly.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Well I wouldn't say that Underworld was neceessary since it did have a new cut, did this film even sell that well on DVD in hte first place? I personally think Halle Berry has killed all her "oscar buzz" already.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Fastest Milking Ever.
(that sounds really strange, but you know what I mean)

I expect this kind of rapid (and rabid) double-dipping attitute from Columbia/Tri-Star, but not Warner Bros.

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
I liked this movie but I already have the other one, not sure if I'll get this. As far as Halle Berry goes, I like the X-Men movies even though she's not a huge part of them, I hated the movie Monter's Ball anyways. As far as Catwoman, I'll be seeing this movie only because I loved reading the comic books when I was younger.

Rolando

Screenwriter
anything in the first release that will not be in this one? Never picked this up and was hoping for an SE. would I be missing anything by just picking up this one?

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Well I will never complain about a movie getting an SE treatment just cause I know their are people out there that love this movie. Even I though, question the urgent need for this. Perhaps sell it while it could be fresh in peoples minds but I would have waited till X3 or whatever she is doing next.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

As long as they don't change the specs, no. The first DVD didn't include many extras: commentary, music video, trailer. This one still includes those. I'd bet that DVD One will be the same as the old disc and they'll just add a second DVD with the new extras...

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Unfortunately, I bought the original DVD as a blind purchase. One of the most disappointing films this year. How can a director like Kassovitz put his name to this, never mind doing a commentary?!

As for a 2-disc SE, well... that decision makes as much sense as the plot.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator

I bought the first DVD release of Underworld, then I sold it, and bought the R1 Unrated cut 2-disc version of Underworld.
I like the new version of Underworld better - it has a nice translucent cover, comic book, and a silly Fangs Vs Fiction documentary on Disc 1. But the audio commentary was BAD, just showing that it's not a definitive DVD release. Len Wiseman keeps pointing out that it's not a director's cut, but it's an extended cut for fans who want to see more. I wish it actually showed bare breasts, but it didn't, which is disappointing for an "unrated cut". Both DVDs are affected by an odd pause during layer change.

[Edit:] I've just watched Underworld again. In the audio commentary, Len Wiseman reveals that the "naked" girl was wearing "pasties" (paste-on bra), so she wasn't actually naked. The letterbox framing conceals the pasties in the screening. So now you know, there is no nudity in this film (except when Kate Beckinsale had to watch her hands, so she had to take her top off.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks