What's new

Gotham - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Pretty good episode, liked the scenes with Bruce and Selina and the bomb stuff. Camren Bicondova is really good as Selina and reminds me of a young Michelle Pfeiffer. I'm also starting to really like Cory Michael Smith as Nygma.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sam Favate said:
Still, the show remains perfectly cast. McKenzie as Gordon is terrific, and pretty much everyone else is too.
Agreed. The only character/actor I'm not liking right now is Barbara. She just rubs me the wrong way anytime she's on screen. Otherwise, these actors are all performing well above any expectation I ever had for the show. There's some out of the box casting (Jada Pinkett Smith, for instance) I'm just loving.
Patrick Sun said:
The Bruce and Selina subplot is oddly okay in my book.
Yeah, with them being the two youngest members of the cast-and the two that are most unconnected to everything else-it makes sense to find a way to put them together. Besides that, their interaction is basically how the series started, so you can't not revisit that relationship throughout the show.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The actor who plays Bruce is 13.

I also was not happy how they ended the episode with Barbara. It was all done for shock value...which this isn't the show for that. Not even caring that she is with another women or even that she is cheating on him (which is wrong). Here why it bothered me. She said she is scared of Zasz and Falcone and has to get away. So where does she go???...To the other "good" cop IN GOTHAM who is going after them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I LOVED Alfred getting the better of the hoodlums who invaded his employers' home. Very taut episode this week.

All over until January [sigh]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle, running across rooftops. Now who would have thought that would happen? :)

Fun. I like they dynamic between Bruce and Selina, which mirrors much of the dynamic between Batman and Catwoman. They're not quite allies, but they're definitely not outright enemies, either. There's a mutual respect there. And because they're still young, there's less of an overlap between the knowledge and skills possessed by each. Some day Selina will have clawed together enough of a formal education to hide among society's elites. Some day Bruce way will be street smart enough to walk the city's underbelly without anybody giving him a second glance. But for now, they each have gaps, and it's fun watching each be surprised by the other.

The casting of Clare Foley as Ivy reminds me a bit of the casting of Camren Bicondova. Unlike David Mazouz, their performances aren't polished and their line readings are a bit flat. But each embodies some of what the character is. Bicondova moves like a cat and captures Catwoman's studied amusement. Clare Foley, on the other hand, brings some of Poison Ivy's instability into the mix. The way she plays the role is unsettling. She's smaller than Bruce and Selina, but she's more unpredictable and therefore strangely more intimidating. There's a neurosis bubbling just under the surface, and you get the feeling you don't want to be on her enemies list.

Given that she's called Ivy Pepper on the show, I'm wondering if either a) it's a fake out and she doesn't end up being Poison Ivy, or b) some situation develops down the road that results in her adopting the Pamela Isley name before she goes off and gets her doctorate in botany.

Sean Pertwee kicking ass as Alfred Pennyworth was a lot of fun. Had some Third Doctor flashbacks to his father when Alfred busted out the martial arts.

Love that they built the iconic Arkham Asylum gate for the show, but I was it was at the bottom of menacing hill with Arkham itself looming above in the distance, instead of merely across a flat courtyard from the institution.

This show has quietly become the highlight of my Monday TV viewing.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very good midseason finale (I kind of hate that term BTW; same with "fall finale"). After this was over, I was flipping channels and HBO was showing Batman Begins, which I haven't seen in years, and it dawned on me that Gotham is the prequel to the Nolan movies. More so than any other incarnation of Batman, Gotham ties to those films in tone, character and appearance. Not saying that's a bad thing, just an observation.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very intense episode tonight. I had forgotten Oswald is now openly going by The Penguin. I didn't remember that happening in earlier episodes.

I'm still finding the Barbara Gordon story completely uninteresting.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Happy to have this one back, though it seems like a questionable scheduling decision to make such a big deal about the midseason premiere, only for the show to go back to repeats next Tuesday.There was something off about the editing of this episode; it didn't quite flow right, with certain decisions like randomly cutting to Selina Kyle and then cutting away again before anything of significance happens, proving to be real headscratchers.I thought Morena Baccarin was well cast as a younger Leslie Thompkins. She brought a grounded, sensible presence to the show which served as a nice counterpoint to all of the insanity circling around the rest of the show.Christopher Heyerdahl was terrific as Jack Gruber. He was the first one who felt like a fully realized classic Batman villain. If this were a Batman show instead of an origin show, he would have made a fantastic Riddler. As it is, between the look and the voice, I'm hoping that Jack Gruber is revealed as an alias of Hugo Strange.There was something all kinds of twisted about Barbara's phone call to Ivy.Loved the ending. This show does sudden violence the best of any show since "Justified". In this case, I had a pretty good idea of what was about to happen, but that didn't make it any less effective when it happened. And the musical accompaniment just sold it. The dark, arch sense of humor is one of the best things this show has going for it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the show. Alice Beasley looked the same as she did on Moonlighting more than 25 years ago. I did think the Ivy/Barbara thing was silly. Barbara and Jim's conflict shouldn't be reduced to a misunderstanding; this is Batman, not Three's Company.

Capt. Essen seems to warm to Jim, and if I recall, there's something there. Maybe that's the conflict between Jim and Barbara. It was nice to have an episode without Bruce; not that I dislike the character, but the focus shouldn't be on him.

I also think Gruber is Hugo Strange. Question: Is Arkham on the show a prison or an asylum for the criminally insane?

Thumbs up on introducing Leslie Thompkins.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Matt Hough said:
I'm still finding the Barbara Gordon story completely uninteresting.
IMO, it's the actresses fault. It's the same reason why the who Barry & Iris thing utterly fails on The Flash. Unfortunately, the Gordon relationship is likely integral to the story, so we will have to slog through it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Happy to have this one back, though it seems like a questionable scheduling decision to make such a big deal about the midseason premiere, only for the show to go back to repeats next Tuesday.

Next Monday is the National Championship game for college football, so I can't fault Fox for tossing in repeats for Gotham and Sleepy Hollow. CBS is basically doing the same thing with repeats (except for churning through a new episode of Mike and Molly) next Monday night.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Next Monday is the National Championship game for college football, so I can't fault Fox for tossing in repeats for Gotham and Sleepy Hollow. CBS is basically doing the same thing with repeats (except for churning through a new episode of Mike and Molly) next Monday night.
I can't blame them for not airing a new episode next Monday, but maybe they should have held off coming back another two weeks rather than one and done it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Adam Lenhardt said:
I can't blame them for not airing a new episode next Monday, but maybe they should have held off coming back another two weeks rather than one and done it.
Yes, they should have just waited the two extra weeks.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Looks like the Penguin is one step away from establishing his own criminal empire. I must say they didn't wait very long to get him up and established. Of course, I'm sure Fish is far from down and out, but I was still surprised he's come clean to his true nature relatively early in the life of this series.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know it won't happen. But, I think it's time for Fish to go. She played her hand and it failed. Keeping her around would just not make sense from Falcone's position. Like that Gordon has gotten a new sense of purpose and resolve. Also, that he seems to have figured out how to work the screwed up system that is Gotham.

On a side note. I usually hate when comic movies/shows tread to far from the source material. But, this is the 2nd time I wouldn't mind they change cannon and get rid of Barbara and have Gordon hook up with Dr.Thompkins.

The other instance is that I would rather have Sarah or Felicity as Black Canary over Laurel on Arrow.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
This episode didn't do anything for me, barely held my interest. It could be because I missed the last episode. Not giving up yet

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The only thing that kept running through my mind at the end of the episode was "Is Jada going to be leaving?" I don't know what her contract calls for in the series, but her power play didn't work (for now) and I don't quite know why she's still alive.

Well, I'm assuming she's still alive right now. The shootout Jim learns about could very well answer the question.

And I'd love to see Robin Lord Taylor getting an Emmy nomination this year. He is so dang freaky and compelling to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks