What's new

Got Valor DSL, need any tips to maximize speed and security (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I bit the bullet and got DSL through Valor Telecom (no other suppliers, they own this part of our town) It's the basic 384/128.

I hooked it all up fine last night and was surfing in no time.

Of course within minutes Norton was saying it blocked this virus and that virus etc. I downloaded Norton Firewall 2004 and am trying my best to configure it so it doesn't choke my system.

I just wanted to ask if there are any special system configurations I should do to my PC or things to watch for now that I am wide open to the net more so than my dial-up was?

I'm runnin W2K Pro, on an HP Pavillion with 256 memory.

As you can tell I'm new to all this high speed stuff and have heard all kinds of stories and read all kinds of articles on how to set up things and tweak things but I wanted to check with you all for any tips that personally make your DSL surfing better/ safer.

Thanks to all
Alfer

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
take a look through here:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq

make sure you scroll to the bottom and check out the DSL101 section, the FAQ should answer most of the questions that you have and possibly a few you didn't even think about.

best of luck!

Gary Neuwirth

Stunt Coordinator
When I switched to dsl (from cable) I had folk trying to give me a virus/trojan within minutes. I recommend increasing your memory to at least 512..that alone will make your computer perform better.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Get a router/switch to put in between your incoming line and your PC. Makes a world of difference...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks